Home Selling in Trenton>Question Details

abmolian, Home Buyer in Yardville, NJ

my brother and I have a house. I want to sell.He doesn't.We're paying morgage.we dont live there. he doesn't work.Can I force him to?

Asked by abmolian, Yardville, NJ Tue Apr 10, 2012

sell in some way?

Answers

7
Bob Weber’s answer
I think this can only be answered by consulting with a lawyer. The type of deed and any agreements that you may have made with your brother will have some bearing on what options are available to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 11, 2012
Hello Adela! In addition to the other comments about talking to an attorney, another option (before a lawsuit) is to see if he's willing to buy out your share (if he has cash reserves).
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 10, 2012
OMG Jeremiah probably you don't remember us. we were trying to buy a house with you but we are stock with this situation. that happened around 2 years ago. Thank you to all you guys with your tips about this matter!!!!
Flag Tue May 8, 2012
I would talk to an attorney but from what I've seen in this situation if one owner doesn't want to sell and the other does it will most likely have to be handled in court.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 10, 2012
This isn't really a question that any Realtor or real estate agent can answer for you. It may be time to talk to an attorney, presuming that your brother won't see the light of reason.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 10, 2012
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
You got to talk to an attorney re. the way you are holding title to your property.
Depending on that, the attorney can advise you what can/should be done.

As realtors, we are not supposed to give legal advise. We can advise on many things that have to do with real estate and the process of buying/selling though.

If you have a combined hardship and the property is under water (I just had a similar situation - it was an ex boyfriend who was without a job), you can sell this property via a short sale.

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
Maybe he needs more information in order to be convinced. Consider meeting with a Realtor to give you an estimate of what you both will net at the closing table.

You can also tell him he can pay the monthly mortgage by him self if he doesn't want to consider selling. It's not fair to you unless he has a strong reason not to sell.
I cannot answer to this question.You may call your lawyer or have a family meetinmg.