Home Selling in Malta>Question Details

Robin Sacks, Home Seller in Mechanicville, NY

my agent sent an unsupervised buyer (came with a lawyer, not realtor friend),to the home and told me to leave the house open. is this appropriate?

Asked by Robin Sacks, Mechanicville, NY Mon Oct 28, 2013

Answers

12
NCHomes Team’s answer
Absolutely not. You need to have a serious conversation with your Realtor and perhaps include the Broker in Charge of the office. This indicates inexperience as well as a complete lack of professionalism. They should have been present to allow them in and then locked up after them. If you allowed this to happen however you share some of the blame as you had the right to simply say no.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 3, 2013
Any buyer should always be accompanied by an agent...

Chris
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 3, 2013
This certainly sounds as if there is "more to the story." I would have to agree with Alan, that as the owner, you have the right to allow in whom ever you wish. If you feel uncomfortable with any arrangement presented to you, it would be wise to present this scenario to your agent along with your concerns.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 3, 2013
Hi Robin

Regret to hear you ran into this predicament. Now the right thing to do
will be that you call your agent on his cell and confirm that such a buyer was sent by him / her

and going forward your agent gives you a heads up.

This then helps as it is verified by your agent and it puts you at ease.

Lawyers can show properties.

Best regards
Ruth
Web Reference: http://ruthandperry.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 2, 2013
Gosh- You are the second person in this area who has told me that occurred. What I said to the first was that I was shocked, that I would never allow my sellers to be in that position (nor my buyers!), that it is detrimental to allow a buyer to meet a seller (inappropriate and uncomfortable and damaging to the buyer's comfort level and thus the making of a deal).

You are paying a goodly sum to be represented by your broker and it is his or her job (and fiduciary duty) to represent you. You should expect that your home will be protected and safeguarded by realtors who have a duty to ensure that buyers who enter your home are both qualified and known!

Realtors are employees of the seller (or the buyer if buyer's agents)- as members of the MLS one of our greatest differentiators is our customer service and quality of service (both in marketing your home and in being responsive to you). You might want to remember that we are also able to be fired if we don't perform adequately.

Good luck in selling your home!

Gail Weiss
518-724-5862
http://www.capitalregionnyhomes.com
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Keller Williams Capital District
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 2, 2013
No, this is still your home and all showings are to be done with an agent.
Fajardo Delacruz
347 932-0609
Your Realtor is not the boss, you decide what is appropriate and what isn’t. I would have told my agent, nope, not gonna do it. I am paying you, if they don’t have a Realtor then you meet them here if you want me to step out.

Sounds like you and your agent are not on the same page, invite them over, have them explain again how it works, but do it in a positive manner. Work together not against each other. Good luck,

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
I answer questions about financing real estate based on my decades of experience dealing with mortgage underwriters. This answer is my personal opinion, has not been reviewed or approved by the company I work for. I do not offer legal or tax advice, if you need answers from an attorney or CPA find one knowledgeable in your local market.
Web Reference: http://jamessimms.com/
Hi Robin

If your agent vetted these buyers and they told the agent they were represented by an attorney, then I wouldn't say it's inappropriate.

However, it's your home and you have every right to deny them if you are not fully comfortable or if they misled your agent and brought unlicensed representation.

This sounds like something you should discuss with your Realtor until you get an answer that is satisfactory.
You never have to leave your house open - that's completely up to your discretion. Lawyers can act as Realtors in NYS, although that may not have been the case here, but you determine who, when and how they get into your home.
In New Jersey, the only people authorized to act as a real estate sales person, without being licensed as one, are attorneys. I don't know the law in New York, but I suppose it is possible this buyer was 'represented' by a lawyer under a similar scenario. However, if you do not want to leave your home open (I assume meaning unlocked), you do not have to. One reason people hire realtors is that our lockbox system allows access to real estate professionals and still keeps the home secure. If the lawyer, or his client, don't like it, too bad.
Many lawyers have a real estate license. I assume the lawyer did not have a way to access the lockbox.
As the seller (owner of the home) you have every right to tell them that you're uncomfortable "leaving the house open".

Insist that they are accompanied by an agent (I presume you meant a unrepresented buyer, not an unsupervised one)... OR make sure that your agent accompanies the showing.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL