Kim Heav, Both Buyer and Seller in 07711

isit required to have gfi outlets outside?

Asked by Kim Heav, 07711 Sun May 19, 2013

Answers

6
My last sell had a really sharp inspector, he explained to my client this way,.. Your electrical system meet code when it was built, GFI's are a safety enhancement that came along later. They are low cost to have installed if you shop around The question of "Do they need to be added", is really answered by you own comfort level with mixing kids, elderly, water and electricity.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 5, 2013
Excellent responses.
Michael really pulled the curtain back.
Two week ends ago "I", little ole me, added GFIC protection to my outside outlets. Total cost? Less than $3 (GFIC dual, ganged outlet, Home Depot) and about 45 minutes of reading the directions repeatedly and slowly. After all, I don't look good with 20 amps running through my body.
-
There is NO EXCUSE for not having outside circuits GFIC protected, unless of course you want to be a dangerouis charge in someone's life.
-
As others have noted.what is REQUIRED depends on when the house was constructed, local requirements and proper permitting. You wouldn't live in a house without locks on the front and back door, nor should you have a house without GFIC in potentially wet areas.
The best way to find out if it is required in your town is to call the local building department. Typically GFI outlets are required in kitchens and baths. If there is a swimming pool you may also need one outside.
New construction will be required by current codes. On existing homes, it will only be required if they are added to the building or if they are upgraded during a renovation. If they don't exist, then you would not have to add them. If you were to do a remodeling and the total cost was a large enough percentage of the total value of the home, then current codes would mandate adding and /or updating many systems, even if not intending in your remodeling plans.
New construction yes existing house depends on the town usually it is grandfathered