April Lopez, Home Buyer in Oklahoma

is it rare to find a basement in oklahoma anymore?

Asked by April Lopez, Oklahoma Sun Mar 21, 2010

i grew up in california where most people lived in apartments and you never knew anybody wtih a basement.

But when I was 12, i moved to iowa and it literally seemed like every house you saw had a basement in it.

But while searching for a house in oklahoma city area for the past year, I think I found only 3 or so houses with basements.

Can someone explain to me why this is?

I would looooove to find a house with a basement that can be updated as a guest room, game room, etc. But I'm just not finding it.

Seems like small 6x6 tornado shelters are more popular......

Answers

6
Exactly, we are told our soil is "not good " for basements but I think there's a more rational explanation for the typical lack of basements in the South and there prevalence in the North.

The further North you go, the deeper the building codes require you to excavate to place a home's footing below the frost line. If you're excavating 3-4' already, plus placing the house 2' out of the ground, it's foolish to not dig an extra foot or so and just create a basement. In the South, the codes may only require footings to be 1-2' deep, and therefore the addition of a basement would require much more excavation (and therefore cost) beyond what's required.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 13, 2010
I've always been told our soil is not good for basements though you go north a little ways and everyone has basements up there. I'm from Michigan where everyone had them. I have sold a few older homes that had basements but they were never in that great of shape. I've seen some very expensive homes in Edmond that have walk out basements but you are talking some cash.

Hope that helps!

Russell Benson, Realtor®
Prudential Alliance Realty
405-378-4442
2005 OKCMAR Realtor of the Year
I actually have one listed for sale that has approx 440sq.ft. basement! Home is about 1600sq.ft, (plus the basement)built in 1933, 3br, 2ba. Great bungalow in Linwood place for $144,500. You can check it out on my website at http://www.okcfineproperties.com

Brian Becker
Paradigm AdvantEdge
(405) 348-4422
Hi April!

Typically you are not going to find basements in newer construction. Most of the basements are on homes in the historic areas, homes built through the 30's. Mesta Park, Heritage Hills, Crown Heights, Edgemere Heights, Douglas Park and over to Miller Blvd, Linwood Place, Crestwood, etc.

In OKC, you are most likely to find basements in the homes between Hefner Parkway (I-44 and 2-35) from east to west and Downtown to NW 50th Street. I did see in another post that you are looking to move to a small town within 30 minutes of Tinker. If you are a fan of older homes, you should be able to find something with a basement within 30 minutes of Tinker but you might have better luck finding something with two living areas (or an extra bedroom) that you could put a sleeper sofa or murphy bed in. Often times, basements are leaky around here. It sounds like you have been through Spring in Oklahoma to know we get some pretty heavy rain.

There are plenty of small towns within 30 minutes. You might try looking in Choctaw, McLoud, Harrah or one of the towns east of Tinker with decent access to I-40.

Best of luck to you in your search. Feel free to search my website for full access to MLS listings!

Michelle Foy
Web Reference: http://www.buygreenokc.com/
It is not common to find a house in Oklahoma with a basement due to the high level of our water table. If done correctly, you can have a basement. Bonus rooms are much more popular here and give the flexibility for what you are needing. These rooms range from a small bedroom size to HUGE! Typically this means you have stairs leading to a large room--some bonus room areas also have 1/2 or full bathrooms. I do have a client that has a home with a basement that is around 500 square feet. It has a laundry room and a fireplace in the basement. He is going to put it up for sale soon and I could send you pictures if you would like or if you are wanting to do a house search I can help you with that as well. You have been searching for the past year and I am curious as to why you have not found what you need. There is no doubt I can help you find what you need if you are seriously looking to move. I hope I have helped answer your questions. Remember to recieve the tax credits availabe you must put a contract on a home by April 30th and close by end of June. Here is a link to my website if you need any more help! :)

http://www.grecorealtygroup.com

forestgreco@me.com
There are some basements in Oklahoma, but you have to search them out. Call me at (405) 834-7842 or lnmulinix@kw.com and I will do a search for you.