Linda, Home Seller in 93430

is a for sale sign required?

Asked by Linda, 93430 Wed Feb 23, 2011

Answers

13
Hello Linda

It would depend on your situation. Some sellers prefer not to have a sign, to avoid attention among neighbors, though neighbors are known to be a good source of bringing their friends and additional interest to help the house sell.

According to the National Association of REALTORS' (N.A.R.) 2010 Home Buyer & Seller Survey, the results of the survey show that about 11% of the buyers found their home from a sign or open house - see extract below:-

Quote
" When asked where they first learned about the home purchased, 38 percent of buyers said the Internet; 37 percent of buyers from a real estate agent; 11 percent a yard sign or open house; 6 percent from a friend, neighbor or relative; 4 percent home builders; 2 percent a print or newspaper ad; 2 percent directly from the seller; and less than 1 percent from a home book or magazine.
Unquote

If so, do you wish to miss that approximate 11%?

Should you choose not to have a sign, please be aware that the residential listing agreement defaults to allowing the agent to put up a sign, unless you, the seller, checks the box to disallow the installation.

Cayucos is becoming an increasingly stopping point for travelers between Southern and Northern California, and vice versa. Many do stop to visit, and look at homes, which logically, having a sign may bring that buyer to you.

I live and list in Cayucos. If I can be of any help, please call, text or email me anytime. Please also feel free to visit my website, http://www.SherrySim.com.

Best regards, Sherry
Web Reference: http://www.SherrySim.com
doesn't answer the question asked. only a realtor can read a simple question and screw it up
Flag Fri Nov 1, 2013
Linda,

You are not required to have a sing, and the impact a sign has on the sale of your property depends a lot upon the location of your property. If it's at the end of a cul-de-sac you won't get a lot of traffic, but if your neighbors know you're selling they may have friends looking to buy into the neighborhood. If you have a more high profile location and have a for sale sign with a rider for a website for your property you can potentially get a lot more activity.

I can't think of any upside for not having one unless you are trying to hide the fact that you are selling.
It's the seller's choice. The sign is a small part of the marketing and should not affect the sale
You do not have to have a sign in your yard. Alot of potential buyer's will drive by and see the sign and call. It usually is a good thing to have a sign!

For more buying and selling tips, please visit http://www.RochesterHomeLocator.com

Salafia Sold Team
585-279-8210
http://www.RochesterHomeLocator.com
http://www.FindRochester.com
If you are planning on selling your home using a qualified real estate professional and you would prefer not having a sign, it is your option to have a sign or not. It may limit the exposure to your home and may be confusing to prospective buyers. A buyer may think you are not serious about selling because you do not have a sign. Or, the buyer may have problems determining which home is for sale if there is no sign.

However, I have been successful selling a home without adding a sign, so it can be done. If you have any questions, please call me at 805-471-0828 or Email me at david@dnorwood.com
Web Reference: http://dnorwood.com
Is a For Sale Sign Required, no is the answer here, unless you as the seller require it. It is very unlikely in todays market that your For Sale Sign is going to sell your home, is internet marketing required, no, but if your agent is doing anything for you he or she is marketing you home to the hilt online. If you have an agent that say signs aren't required, ask them why, and understand that a sign in your yard is an invite for pesky and nosy neighbors to come to your door to finally get a peek inside or to start untrue rumors! Trust your agents opinion on this, this is why you asked for a professional to sell your home!
No, for sale signs are not required by law. It is possible that a brokerage firm would require a sign as part of the listing contract. According to the National Association of Realtors website, 22% of buyers look for "For Sale" signs as a way to identify properties they may have an interest in. So, not having a sign limits the potential market share.
Hi Linda,

It's not required, however it is highly encouraged. By far I get the most number of calls off my signs followed by the Internet. Many people drive around in the areas they are searching, they can google your home's information on their smartphone to get the listing information instantly. A sign is one of your best marketing tools to sell your home.

Additionally, it is a good idea to have a brochure holder on your sign for prospective Buyers to take a flyer.

I hope this answers your question.
David Jaffe-SRES, CDPE
Realtor-Coldwell Banker.
Agreed with Lance!

But, as the Seller of a home, you Do Not have to put a yard sign up in any area of the country that I am aware of. It is probably in your best interest to have a sign. Because a very high percentage of sales come from friends and relatives of local area residents of the property. Normally by seeing a yard sign and then telling a friend or family member...

There are however plenty of Sign restrictions limiting everything about the Size, Content or placement of the signs.
A for sale sign is good for word of mouth advertising and it lets anyone driving by know that your property is for sale. Also, maybe your neighbors have some friends or relatives who are looking to move into the area, without a sign how will your neighbors know your property is for sale? A for sale sign is a good way to receive exposure in your neighborhood.

Please email me if you have any further questions.

Kurt.Ostebo@Century21.com
No, a sign isn't required, but if you don't have one, you will miss a lot of potential buyers. Some people are very serious about their privacy in this regard and would rather not advertise the fact that their home is on the market, to the general public and their neighbors, but still want to sell. This can work, it just takes more time and effort in other areas. Good luck.
You may do whatever you want with your property as long it violates no laws, deed restrictions or homeowner association rules. I've never heard of a law, deed restriction or HOA rules mandating for sale signs so the answer is probably "No."

However, if I were a seller I would insist on the sign. There are very few circumstances when a sign would be more of a detriment than an asset. Since one never knows where the eventual buyer may show up it is generally important to leave no stone unturned.
Linda,

You would get more helpful answers if you gave more information. Are you planning to sell this yourself and wanting to know if a sign is necessary, or is a realtor listing and you don't want to have a sign up?