Home Selling in Lakewood>Question Details

Kate Carey, Home Seller in Lakewood, CO

interested in selling my home situated on light rail, what is best time and way to market it?

Asked by Kate Carey, Lakewood, CO Fri Mar 11, 2011

Light rail will be complete in 2013 and I would prefer to sell sooner. I have the cutest (according to neighbors) remodeled house on the block...across the street from light rail and within 2 blocks of the closest stop: 1 full bedroom, 1 efficiency apartment downstairs, on 1/3 acre. I currently have a renters in it, but they are under contract to have to move if I sell. What are my options? How is the current market? I live out of state.

Answers

8
My name is Trish Kelly and it sounds like I may be your neighbor. We have 1/2 acre one block from the light rail and three blocks from the stop on Garrison. For the last year, I have been working with all my neighbors who want to move before the light rail is completed and I've gathered quite a bit of information. I've met with the RTD light rail neighborhood advocates and I have no doubt that I can help you decide the best way to go. Call me any time and I will be more than happy to discuss the details. It would be my pleasure to do whatever I can to make this process as painless as possible. My number is 720-331-6377 and I work all the time, so don't worry about calling too early or too late:) Take care!

Trish Kelly
Keller Williams
720-331-6377
trishkelly@kw.com
Web Reference: http://www.trishkelly.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 11, 2011
In Chicago, this would have a HUGE premium over a similar property one mile away from the train. Possibly that will happen in Denver some day - but it doesn't seem to be there yet.
I'd keep it and rent it out - the rental market is very strong now - plus there are some good tax benefits.
Light rail, low rates, Buyers market....NOW is the time to list your home, unless you have an opportunity to rent your home creating positive "CASH FLOW" for yourself.
In order to know your home value, you do need a market report for your area, type of home, square feet and condition.
Shoot me your email address and home address and I can help OR you can visit my website http://www.JoyceSedam.com and search your area for what is on the market at this time.

Joyce Sedam, SFR
CHERRY CREEK PROPERTIES, LLC
http://www.JoyceSedam.com
jsedam@gmail.com
720-934-7085
RELOCATION * RESIDENTIAL * LIFE TRANSITIONS
The best way to answer your question regarding the "current" market is by having a professional take a look at your home and run a market analysis based on similar homes in your neighborhood. After determining the true market value of your home, we can discuss what the best option is for you. Maybe selling makes sense at this time, maybe holding on to your investment is the best choice.
Please feel free to contact me with your questions and concerns.
Web Reference: http://www.JoyceSedam.com
I have a attached a URL for a Real Estate Trends map for Lakewood, based on sales in the 4th Quarter 2010. This will give you a rough idea of the whether neighborhoods are increasing or decreasing in value. I will have new statistics and maps in Mid April for the 2011 1st Quarter.
Without actually seeing the house, the neighborhood and doing a market analysis, your question is not answerable yet.
As a gross generality, I believe the homes along the light rail will be increasing in value as we get closer to the completion date.
As a general statement, properties near light rail stations are "holding their own" over the last year, or so, in terms of value. Any broker will be happy to help you determine the likely selling price of your property and work with you to develop a marketing plan. If you decide to sell, make sure the broker you choose takes your renters into account as a part of their plan. Often times, renters don't want to move. As a result, they may find ways to derail the marketing effort, making it frustrating for everyone involved. Your broker should be someone who is able to develop a good working relationship with your renters, particularly since you live out of state. I grew up in Lakewood and am happy to provide you with information or answer any other questions.
Phil Lunnon
Metro Brokers/Lunnon Realty
303-888-2500
Twigger22,
The current market in Lakewood is let's see........the biggest Buyer's market in the history of Colorado. Send me the address and I will pull the most recent comparable solds for you. That way you can get an idea of where you stand. If you have a lot of equity and can put the money to use somewhere else, then by all means sell now. I personally would rent it out until the market rebounds. When it does rebound it is going to be remarkable. I also think you will get more money for it once the light rail is complete. (Although there has been some worries about the funding for completion recently.) It really just comes down to time vs. money. If you want those Comps. shoot me an email. I would be happy to list it for you or keep an eye on your renters.
Sincerely, Nick Bowman
303-476-8454
housecallsrealty@gmail.com
http://www.housecallsrealty.com
Hi Twigger22,

Warm regards,
Lori La Haye-Realtor
303-513-2307
lorilahaye@yahoo.com
Cherry Creek Properties, LLC
Thanks for asking a great question! Every home will sell and there are three details that determine the amount of time needed to sell the home and the value you will earn; condition, marketing & price. Since you have renters in the house already, and the area (depending where your house is exactly) is really a mess of construction right now overall, I would recommed marketing it as an investment opportunity. In 2013 it should turn into a nice little investment due to the quick commute to Denver for both employment and college opportunities. I grew up in Lakewood and have 26 years in the real estate industry. I would be happy to provide you a simple snapshot of the values that are currently occurring for your review. Feel free to call me directly at 720-937-2846 or visit http://www.HomeZero.com to shop the active properties for review. All the best to you!
Web Reference: http://www.HomeZero.com