Sal, Home Seller in Plainview, NY

im looking to sell my home in plainview

Asked by Sal, Plainview, NY Thu Sep 18, 2008

most of the home has paneling, would you advise that i take it down or repaint it?

Answers

10
Sal, you only get 1 shot to make a 1st impression, painting is something I would not recommend.
If there is drywall behind the paneling then remove it. Prime and Paint combo will provide you with a fresh look and please remember to use neutral earthy colors to keep it simple.
It would be my pleasure to meet with you view your home and provide you with advice to make your home pop when you list it with me... Please give me a call to schedule a consultation

Warmest Regards

Will Roan Lrsp - Realtor
Charles Rutenberg Realty Inc.
255 Executive Dr Ste 104
Plainview, NY 11803
631 805 9045

Please feel free to read more about me on Trulia
Let a few agents come in to take a look at the paneling and give you their advice. Some paneling are easier than others to paint. If its cost effective to have them removed; its usally better than painting.
Sal,
First impressions are everthing. Your question shows that you have a concern. If you don't take care of it before your house goes on the market you will always wounder what if? I would cover the existing paneling with 1/4" sheetrock. This way you save yourself alot of money in labor and get the job done in less time. New freshly painted walls will help your home standout from the over 156 homes currently for sale in the Plainview market. For more tips on this topic visit my blog at http://www.PlainviewRealEstate.Blogspot.com
Hi Sal
We sell in Plainview and have buyers looking in the Plainview area. It all depends on the price you decide to sell your house for. If you are motivated and want to sell fast, then with paneling all over, your price has to be very affordable for a buyer to be willing to take off the paneling and to the updating themselves. If you have any questions, you canh contact us at our email: longislandrealtors.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 21, 2008
to paint or not to paint - that is the question!

Sal,

Alot of this depends on your motivation for selling. What is your motivation - why are you selling?

If you're throwing it on the market to see what happens, well then - don't knock yourself out.

If you're intention is to sell it for top dollar, in the quickest amount of time - I would say tear it down and paint the walls a nice neutral color. Put up some molding. Nice.
Web Reference: http://www.tommcgiveron.com
Hi Sal,
Having been a REALTOR for almost 11 years, I have sold many homes with painted paneling. When the job is done right, most buyers will not immediately notice the fact that the walls are really paneling. The best look I've seen is one where the walls were painted flat and then textured as a second coat with a complimentary color through the use of saran wrap, natural sponge or a textured roller that can be purchased at Home Depot.
Please give me a call at (516)410-3594 with any of your real estate questions - I work in the Plainview area and would enjoy speaking with you and helping you regarding any aspect involved in the upcoming sale of your home.
Arlynn
Web Reference: http://www.arlynnpalmer.com
I have seen many a home where the paneling has been painted a neutral color. Most of my customers didn't realize at first glance that it was paneling. The type of paneling is a factor. Wood is easy to paint. Mica may not hold the paint. Painting it would be the least costly route. It should be sanded and primed before the paint is applied. Doing a bad job is worse than not painting at all. Buyers do notice shoddy workmanship and factor it into the offer price, if they make an offer at all.
Hi, Sal,

I would repaint the walls a neutral color. Most buyers know they have to
change things around to suit their taste. At least you will have clean and neat
walls for them to live in right away.

Please call me if you are interested in listing your home and have not already done so.
I would love to offer my services and
I have a promotion going on right now.
$1000 at the closing towards your closing fees.

Good Luck,
Camille Dandola 516-312-6245 ReMax
If it is not easy to remove painting it will greatly improve the appearance. Be sure to get professional advice on the materials needed depending on the finish on the panelling.

Donna
http://www.SellYourHomeLI.com
Is the panel glued on or nailed? If glued, your plaster or sheet rock will most likely be destroyed in the process of removal.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com