Nanzi, Home Seller in 96707

im going to real estate school in hawaii and I have no idea whats in store after i get my license. Do i go and apply at companies for a job,money etc?

Asked by Nanzi, 96707 Mon Mar 7, 2011

Do i need to have start up money? What kind of things would i need. My school is in April and goal for getting my license is by ending of June. Im a single parent of 3 and i want to make this work? I don't know what to do to be prepared and Ive heard somethings that is kind of holding me back but I believe i can do this? Am i going to waste my money going to school and taking this license as a single parent?
thankyou,

Nani B. Hawaii

Answers

5
Nanzi,
I would suggest you meet with some local offices and discuss your plans. Many Franchise companies have their own schools to help you obtain your license and have recommended programs to get you started. There are definitely start up costs, but depending on whom you choose to work for they will vary.
In most cases you'll need cards, signs, a computer, gas money and a reliable car. Continuing education both in the classroom and ideally being mentored by a senior agent who is busy.
Before you pay for your class, talk to some offices. Best of luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 7, 2011
Nani,

I'd like to connect you with our team leader there who can answer all your questions.
If you want to drop me your contact information I can have them set an appointment with you.

You might also want to look at my link on careers in real estate.
http://teamlynn.yourkwagent.com/atj/user/AdditionalGetAction…

Try to pay as you go. Don't spend a lot of money in the beginning. See how you can do everything without spending money. For example if you have no money for a car or gas, is this 100% needed for a real estate agent?....could you take the clients car, have them come pick you up at the office and use their gas? Could you work in an area with a lot of high rise condos and walk to appointments. Could you work for a builder with a golf cart selling new homes in a new development. Lots of different ways to work. Can you walk and hand out flyers vs mailing them. Can you use office phone instead of cell phone?..etc....lots of ways to get started without spending lots.

Plus if you ask the team leader we set you up to see for a copy of the "red book" chances are you'll get one for free and it is a step by step guide to make a million...even for a single mom.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 7, 2011
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
There are several routes you can take. Keep in mind, a real estate agent's income is usually completely commission-based. To start off this way, you will need to have money set aside to both finance your business, and live off of, while you learn the business, get clients, and close a deal. This can take some time - I didn't close my very first transaction for several months. It's tough, but patience and hard work can pay off!

There may be opportunities for being a real estate assistant or buyer's agent where you can earn a salary, and have help getting leads, while you are learning the business.

Feel free to contact me and I'd be happy to give you some more tips and pointers.

Best of luck,
Richard Schulman
(310) 482-0173
schulmanrd@yahoo.com
I would like to thank all 3 of you for answering my question. Sorry it took so long to reply but i was trying to pick up on this website and learning it. I feel very thankful for your honest answers and im doing my research as well.. Im still excited to do this. I know i can and alot of people say i would be great at this career but my downfall is... again im a single mother and don't have that kind of money. so.. this is what im thinking to do. Im going to go through the class and pursue my license and if i don't have enough money or find a company that will help me i will sit on this till i can save or find another opportunity.. and all through this i will just head it on and PRAY... thankyou again for your supportive answers.
Why oh why have you decided to go to "real estate school" when "I have no idea what's in store . . . I don't know what to do."

Here's what you do: Many real estate companies have introductory sessions for people interested in becoming agents. The sorts of questions you're asking are answered there. Such as: Do you need start-up money? Yes, probably a couple of thousand dollars for all the paperwork, membership in the national, state, and local Realtor's association, business cards, and so on.

So, go to a couple of those introductory sessions. Listen to what they have to say. Ask questions. Find out if it sounds like something you'd be interested in.

But please do that before proceeding farther.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA