Home Selling in Chillicothe>Question Details

Diane, Home Seller in Chillicothe, OH

if we signed with a real estate agent yesterday, can we back out of the contract today? Im in Ohio.

Asked by Diane, Chillicothe, OH Fri Sep 2, 2011

within an hour or 2 of signing a contract with an agent, we agreed to sell the house to a friend who asked us about it when we asked him if he would help paint. NOW, the real estate agent wants the whole commission for doing absolutely nothing. I even took the picts and emailed them to him as he was going to use MINE cause he didn't want to take the time to take his own!

Answers

3
You signed a contract and my advice is to contact the Broker in Charge of the company you listed your home with, I'd tell them if their unwilling to accept 2.5-3% commission and handle all the paperwork in a professional manner and put it in writing immediately, that you're going to contact the Ohio State Real Estate commission {614-466-4100} and file a formal complaint against the company and the agent. In addition you're going to write a letter to the Editor of your local paper letting people know what a lousy company they are to deal with and will specifically name the agent who was too lazy to even take pictures of the property. Lastly you'll be speaking with an attorney about terminating the contract.

It is important to understand that you did sign a contract and you should have exempted your friend if you thought they might want to buy your home. I don't really approve of what the agent is doing but on the other hand you agreed to let them sell it and agreed to pay them a commission.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 1, 2012
If the people in your area hear about this type of greediness..... word of mouth spreads fastetc...
Hi Diane,

I wish I had better news for you, but a contract is a contract. Your best bet is to contact the broker and see if you can work something amicable out.