Using Trulia in Hopatcong>Question Details

Brad Warfield, Home Seller in Lake Hopatcong, NJ

if i can*t list my home for sale without using a realtor then Trulia dosen*t list all the houses that are for sale, is that true?

Asked by Brad Warfield, Lake Hopatcong, NJ Thu Sep 15, 2011

Answers

8
Brad, you are correct Trulia doesnt list all houses that are for sale. No site could, after all, for a price ,just about every house is for sale. (I own 4 homes and while they arent all on the market, for the right price I would sell any or all)
Yes, that's a fair statement. Trulia doesn't list all the houses that are for sale.

It doesn't cover the for-sale-by-owners. The Multiple Listing Services also don't list all the homes that are for sale, as they don't typically include for-sale-by-owners. And yet, the MLS among the most effective sales tools, as a database for Realtors to draw upon, in the history of real estate.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Homes for Sale.
That would of course include homes listed by real estate agents. An all inclusive list would also include FSBOs, those homes for sale but not advertised often called 'pocket listings' that appear on no list. Now there are foreclosed homes, bank owned but not yet for sale, homes to be auctioned, certificate redemption, flipper, and 'court house' sales. Of course the list can be very long but this outline is sufficient.

I am unaware of ANY site that provides a list of ALL homes that can be purchased. Truila, however, makes it really easy. All you need to do is take a tiny step in their direction and pick up the phone to call you local NJ real estate professional.
Trulia is not a FSBO owner site. There are sites dedicated specifically for this. I would disagree with the agent who suggested that Trulia might rely on tax records for more accurate information, with more than 20 years of experience I can assure you tax records are filled with inaccuracies.

While I know that the statistics clearly indicate that the majority of homeowners who try selling on their own ultimately list with a professional agent, I also know the futility of trying to convince you or any other home owner who is thinking this is what they will do of this. It's something you'll have to discover for yourself. A good experienced agent is worth every penny you pay them, and bad agent (and there are many of them) isn't worth anything.

Good luck to you regardless of how you proceed.
Hi Brad,
Trulia feeds from the MLS (Multiple Listing Service) Our local one is Garden State. If you use one of the flat fee agencies that are out there, depending on the plan you choose you will get fed onto Trulia. There are many companies that feed to Trulia. Realty Track is one that feeds pre foreclosure homes that aren't even listed for sale yet. Which I find deceptive to the unknowing consumer.

If you are concerned with accurate data. Trulia should be feeding from tax records. Again there is room for error.

If you have any questions about how to market your home for sale please feel free to contact me. If you have questions about home values I can also provide you information on that.
You can list it on Trulia through a realtor without contracting the realtor. If you would like me to post it for you, email me the listing data, and I will be happy to post it for you without any obligations. Email: JMax123@aol.com

Jane
http://www.RealTerrific.com
Brad,
Sites make their own rules as to who can use them. There are FSBO sites, but they don't get near the audience of the major MLS sites, Trulia, Zillow etc.
No site lists "all the homes." Your greatest success will be to display your home to the broadest possible market at a compelling price. Look at all the listed homes that aren't selling. Many that are taking several months and multiple price drops.
Going on your own is your right and I tried it myself before I got into the business. I wasn't successful. Once I listed it with a quality agent, we had an offer in a reasonable time.
A good agent brings value to a transaction and is worth more than their commission. A bad agent, or none at all can be costly in a multitude of ways. Best of luck however you proceed.
Trulia picks up the feed from all MLS sites. It is a Real Estate web site. Your house will be shown if listed similar by a profession and also on Realtor.Com. It ill not get near the exposure needed.