Home Selling in Berwyn>Question Details

Bubbles, Home Buyer in Berwyn, IL

i want to sell my home but when we got the heavy rain water came up threw the floor drain would i have to disclose that since it was due to city sewer

Asked by Bubbles, Berwyn, IL Tue Oct 5, 2010

Answers

7
Yes! Disclose. You will write in when, appros. how much water and how it happened i.e City sewer problem etc etc.
Alot of People in this area got water in basement in 2010 a couple of times! so Buyers understand
and deserve to know and you deserve peace of mind. It will not deter a good Buyer to buy your property in Berwyn and other surrounding areas.
Some buyers have a private inspection and some opt not to have one. Either way ypu are not obligated to do any work but to just disclose any problems that you Might Know about. That is all!

Call me with Questions you may have on Selling in these areas. I have been selling in Berwyn for more than 16 years so I have seen it all! I have Listed & Sold many many properties and have met alot of Wonderful people leaving our Wonderful City as my Client Sellers and met many nice people coming in to Berwyn as my Client Buyers. Berwyn is a Great Community! Hope to meet you!
Susan Dominguez, Broker Realtor, Our Family Realty P.C. 708.656.9100 708.369.0436 ourfamily6126@yahoo.com
Disclosure isn't about what caused the problem, even if the problem has been addressed/fixed. An example that comes to mind about your question is a case where a buyer bought a house with the benefit of inspections, even, and all seemed excellent, especially since the seller, who happened to be a frugal investor, had "fixed" the obvious and visible problems the house exhibited when he bought it. However, after a few months of taking possession the buyer accidentally uncovered areas that were supposedly fixed were just "white-washed" and the true repairs needed to correct damages found in an existing termite report were only covered over. The point of this is that the seller had a duty to both fix AND disclose all that went on, regardless of how the fix was done. He did the disclosure but only to point out a favorable disposition, e.g., repaired this or fixed that, failing to mention the true faults and attempting to shield himself from liability by referring to the inspection report (as part of the disclosure). In the end, the case that developed cost everyone money to the tune of $80,000! So, DISCLOSE, DISCLOSE, DISCLOSE is your best bet. Let the buyer do their due diligence where necessary. Good luck.
Sure, disclose it. It will probably leave traces in an inspection and if it is "discovered" by the inspector it could tank a deal. Disclosure protects you in the end. It will also keep you from getting an otherwise good deal cancelled in case it is discovered by surprise later.
Why not?

Houses are not boats, Bubbles. They leak. We do the best we can, and they still want to leak.

Disclose, sell, move on.

Always disclose......you don't want it to come back on you in the future. I like in Brookfield, and I had the same issue recently. You can write on the disclosure what happened and that it was repaired, if you have, in fact, repaired it. Good luck to you.
Any material defect in your property has to be disclosed to potential buyers. Better to disclose it now than wait for it to be discovered when your property is under contract. If you can, repair it. If not, understand that buyers will consider this repair issue when they are preparing an offer to submit to you.

Best of luck to you!
Web Reference: http://www.DesariJabbar.com
Bubbles, Any significant structural or functional issue with the home should be disclosed. If the event you described was a one time issue, and any water damage corrected it's not a big deal, as opposed to the basement floods every time it rains and there is insufficient drainage. To remedy this is a bigger more costly repair. I advise clients to repair what they can using licensed professionals unless their do-it-yourself skills are advanced. If they can't afford to remedy an issue get several estimates from licensed professionals and expect to negotiate these points with potential buyers. It's a big red flag to buyers if there are poorly executed home repairs or unfinished projects around the house. Do your homework and prepare your home the best you can before putting it on the market.
Web Reference: http://www.lchometeamsd.com