Home Selling in Ohio City>Question Details

Curious, Home Seller in Columbus, OH

i sold my house, There was nothing in the contract about how soon I had to be out, However at Closing the

Asked by Curious, Columbus, OH Wed Jun 24, 2009

buyers agree to let me stay in the house for 30 days because they were no where near ready to move and I was clsing on my new house in 3 days, So now they are calling me every day harrasng me about moving out,, No it was not in writing but it was a verbal agreement between us at the closing table in front of the closing agent... WHAT SHOULD I DO.. it's only been a week and I am no where ready to move yet...

Hi Curious,
Unfortunately nowadays you just can't go by someone's word. I'm sure it clearly states in the contract that possession will take place on Closing and without anything in writing that the buyers agreed for you to stay in the house you may be out of luck. Tack this up as one of those life lessons!

Corey Dwan - REALTOR
Benson Sotheby's International Realty
P.O. Box 210
433 Sixth Street
Crested Butte, CO 81224
970-596-3219 Cell
970-325-3219 Google
970-349-6653 Office
970-797-1810 Fax
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 31, 2010
I would pull out my contract. Here is almost ALWAYS written either Close of escrow or close of escrow plus 3 days. Without something in writing I would suggest you put the pedal to metal and get it moving. If you have to get the pods that are live a moving truck. They drop it off, you fill it up and they take away. Then you tell them when and where to drop it off when you are ready for your new place. They are cheaper than a storage and easy. Then find some temporary living. They now own the house.

The other suggestion is to offer rent for the month. Then maybe... you will both be happy.

Best of Luck.

Kindest Regards,
Dianne Hicks
Web Reference: http://www.di4homes.com
The date you close and they give you the money IS the date the new owners take possession. If you bought a car would you pay the money and then let the seller drive it around for the next month? If you needed to stay you should have told your agent and they would have written it into the contract or you could have delayed the closing until you were ready to move. You can't have it both ways - you can't take the money and stay in the house too.
I am not familiar with the real estate laws in OH, as I am an agent in Minnesota, however when it comes to real estate it is always important to get it in writting. In MN your agent would have built that into your purchase agreement. This is necessary since the property changes hands at time of closing unless otherwise detailed in the purchase agreement.

It is sad to say this but 8 of 10 people don't know how to be accountable to their word anymore so it will always protect yourself to get something so important in writting. You may want to try to make an arrangement with them for the remaining time, but may need to offer some consideration ($$) for the time at the house. Be sure to get that in writting as well, even a hand written note that is signed by you and the new owners should work to prevent continued headache over this.
if there is nothing in writing and they now own the house,they can force you to move at any time,although i imagine they would have to go through a formal eviction process.
Wow. I cannot even imagine a contract that did not specify the possession date. Given the situation is what it is now, I would ask for something in writing so that the agreement is clear.