Home Selling in Fort Worth>Question Details

Devallon Tat…, Renter in Deerfield, IL

i inherritted a homme its in not so goo shape' roof and furnace are new. i have family that refuses to move help?

Asked by Devallon Tatum, Deerfield, IL Sat Mar 15, 2014

Help the community by answering this question:


Help for form Dixieland: JamesTurner(dot)20fr(dot)com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 20, 2014
We can help you.
If you are the owner, they may have to leave. You can sell perhaps without having them leave and let the new owner get the family to leave.
You may be able to sell without repairs.
Call me if you need help.
We can do almost everything long distance.
You probably never have to visit to list or sell it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 15, 2014
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Dear Sir / Madam ---

It is amazing to me that some people get on here and write responses to your question when they didn't even READ the question. You said the Roof & Furnace are new. That means you don't have a lot of repairs to worry about, especially if the house is occupied and livable.

If the people who are occupying the house are you family, then you have a personal problem as well as a legal problem. You did not specify if this house in question is in Fort Worth or Illinois...?

It makes a difference. Because the Realtors here in Fort Worth can only discuss what the Texas Real Estate Laws say, and we do not know the Illinois Laws.

But, in either case, You need to contact a Real Estate Attorney who specializes in such cases as inherited property. First, the Will has to be Probated in court. Then the Judge will determine who inherits the property, and if you did not get 100% of the property in your name, then you have to get together with the other family members and work out a solution. The Judge will also determine who is the Executor of the Estate and THAT person will be in charge of selling or leasing the house, or turning the title over to you (the heirs).

Once you become the actual owner on title, then and only then, can you take control of the property. IF you no longer want the Tenant to stay there, you would need to get an Eviction Order from Court to throw them out. Go to Small Claims Court if it is here in Texas. (May be similar in Illinois.) The Constable will remove the Tenant within a few weeks, once the Judge signs the orders.

Next, if you decide you want to Sell the house, (or lease it), then contact me and I will help you do so,... providing it is here in Texas. I have been selling houses around here for 34 years, and I know the market well.

Good luck to you!

Rick DeVoss

ULTRA Real Estate Services

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 15, 2014
Has the home been put in your name and the documents to do that filed with the county where the home is located? If so, I think you can start the eviction process. If the home is not in your name yet, I would contact a real estate attorney. All Title companies have an attorney that can answer questions like this. If you do decide to sell, I'm an agent with Coldwell Banker and I'd be happy to help.

Gail Lawnicki
817 727-0062
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 15, 2014
Rick I did not advertise myself as anything, I simply wrote a response. Apparently I missed something on the site and "Home Buyer" auto populated because I did not write that, and yes I'am a Coldwell Banker agent. Have a nice day!!
Flag Sun Mar 16, 2014
@Gail --- You are in violation of TREC Regulations when you advertise yourself as a "Home Buyer" ... assuming that you are a Coldwell Banker Agent. I suggest you take a look at the Regs and change your style of advertising before someone reports it to TREC.
Flag Sat Mar 15, 2014
Contact a local estate attorney and list it as is for investors if you want to sell it call me I can explain or email penny.adkerson@winansbhg.com 817-528-7706
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 15, 2014
It must first be determined who has the authority to sell.
Without knowing this nobody can do anything.

If YOU are that person, meaning you have 100% ownership, or executive or personal representative, contact a real estate attorney.

Now you must decide is the value of a home in 'not so goo shape' of greater value than the resident family.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 15, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer