Home Selling in Sonoma>Question Details

Chris Cole, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA

how much will central air increase my property value in sonoma?

Asked by Chris Cole, San Francisco, CA Wed Apr 27, 2011

Answers

6
I've found most buyers in Sonoma want a home that has central air. And if it doesn't have it, they will factor in the cost to have it installed when making an offer. The past year, I had two clients buy homes without air and immediately upon closing, they had it installed. It's just a comfort thing, that for those extremely hot days, most buyers find it worth the expense to have.
Web Reference: http://www.terridamico.com
Having air conditioning seems to be relevant to the specific micro-climate of where the home is located, the design efficiencies of it and the price niche' of the market the home is competing in. In Sonoma, if you have a home valued in excess of $900,000 you should have this component or know that a buyer will discount your home for not, as we see this as a likely second home/weekender buyer profile. Let's face it, home buying is more a process of elimination usually than it is of selection and we do not want to have a home crossed off the buyers list for features it does not have respective of its' competition in the niche' it occupies.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 28, 2011
Central Air is a given these days, you want to know what the increase to the value of your property will be, it is like asking what increase in value will I have if I announce to my buyers that the property has walls, or has bathrooms with toilets. The increase in value would be ZERO
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 27, 2011
As you can see, its pretty apparent that this is an area specific question. As a Santa Rosa resident, I do not have central air and do just fine. Here it is NOT a given by any means. Temperature control can be easily achieved if you take advantage of our natural air conditioning....coastal fog and nightly cool down. Windows open late afternoon/evening......closed in the morning. The house, if well insulated, stays pleasant all day. There are perhaps 5-7 days each year where I wish I had AC....and I get over that quickly. Sonoma gets quite a bit warmer than Santa Rosa, making it a bit more of an issue,but still not a given. As far as it affecting the sale, when doing a market analysis, I usually discount a basic home $5000 for no AC....a larger home requiring a more expensive system would, of course, require more of a discount. As with any amenity, some buyers would put central air on their "must have" list, in which case a credit or price reduction could be negotiated, others could care less.

Best of luck to you
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011
Well, over here in the fog belt of Santa Rosa there's lots of properties without air conditioning, and it's not a big deal, as we've been lucky to see sunshine from 1-4pm! But out in Sonoma, I'm sure the question is "how much will my property value be decreased by not having air conditioning"!!??
Chris,
As an Associate Broker and Realtor, I find that it is a given that all homes have central air conditioning and is essential to any sale. Buyers do not want a credit or may overlook homes that do not have central air whether in Sonoma or most places in the U.S. We have all become accustomed to air conditioning, especially in warmer climates. Not having centraal air will have a negative impact on any property.
Web Reference: http://www.FrankDolski.com