Home Selling in Flemington>Question Details

Jon Slater, Home Seller in Flemington, NJ

how much should I expect to pay in legal fees on the sale of a home?

Asked by Jon Slater, Flemington, NJ Mon Jun 16, 2008

Answers

9
Jon,

Many attorneys in my area charge a flat fee rate for working on the seller's side of the transaction and a different rate for working on the buyer's side of a transaction. Typically I've seen legal fees run approximately $750-$950. If you already have a real estate attorney - ask them what they charge or call a law firms in your area and ask them their closing rate for a seller. Whatever you do - you should definitely use a real estate attorney to handle the closing. I've seen deals not go so smooth when the transaction was handled by an attorney who does not specialize in real estate.

Gina Chirico, Sales Associate/Realtor
Prudential New Jersey Properties
973-239-7700 ext 132
973-715-1158 cell
GinaChirico@PruNewJersey.com
How much should I be expected to pay in legal fee in New York City?
On the jersey shore part of the state the avg. is between $750-$900 . You may also qualify for a sr. discount. They may not be local but as long as they are licensed to practice law in NJ they can be used for any purchase.
Hi Jon,

I am a local agent with Weichert Realtors in Clinton. The average fee I saw for the 15 closings I had during the past year was between $900.00 and $1000.00. This is for a normal closing. If there is a short sale or an issue with the closing that is more complex that involves more time, the cost may be greater. If you would like more information or have other real estate questions, please visit my website, as it has a wealth of information. Good Luck with your Sale!

Cecelia Bogart
http://www.ceceliabogart.com
Attorney I use charges flat fee of 1200-1500 also depending on seller or buyer rep. Make sure any fees that are passed on are not inflated. In hiring attorney, like hiring an agent get someone who returns your calls promptly and has sufficient support staff to handle routine tasks. (order title, survey etc)
Generally, a buyer now pays between $900-$1200, and the seller pays a little less (more work for the buyers' attorney to do). It's a flat fee that comes off the proceeds of closing on either side.
How much you will pay in legal fees would be best answered by your attorney
Are you working with a Realtor? If so he or she should give you and ESTIMATED cost sheet for the seller and it should have a break down of your fees. If your not working with A Realtor let me know and i'll refer you to one.
Hi Jon,
This may vary from state to state and counties to counties but should be around 0.5% to 1% of the selling prices