thedunkster2…, Both Buyer and Seller in Easley, SC

how much commission should i be expected to pay for a realtor to sell/list my house?

Asked by thedunkster2000, Easley, SC Thu Jul 4, 2013

the cabin is small and in a very beautiful place (Appalachian trail)
Zip is 28779 and there are a lot of tourists and motorist/cyclist in area.
It is near about 5 state parks and several large fishing lakes.
The realtor nearby wants 7% and I thougth that to be high. Was expecting 6%.
The nat'l average by google and you guys says ~5.1. I need an answer soon.
Thanks!

Answers

2
All commissions are negotiable......that's the legal statement we, as agents, must and should say in response to a commission question.
Anyone who tells you, on a forum like this, that a specific commission is "customary, usual, typical or expected" is stomping on the federal anti trust laws...comments like that could be seen as an attempt at price fixing, even if that wasn't intended.

So...........you need to do your homework

I suggest you speak to other Realtors, and discuss what they will charge, and what they will do for you......ask for a written marketing plan so you can compare and contrast what is being offered.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 4, 2013
Debbie is absolutely correct in saying that agents can get in lots of hot water by discussing what the "normal and customary" commission is for their area on an open forum such as this.

However, I can certainly tell you what WE would charge if we were representing YOU! Our commission is normally 7% unless there is some unusual circumstance - i.e., your house is priced at $1MM, or perhaps you're a good friend/client and we've listed and sold numerous properties for you. We offer an extensive marketing plan, backed up by the fact we personally closed 72 transactions last year -- the highest in our company!

Since we are primarily a second home market it is very common for our sellers to live in another area where commission structures are different - both higher AND lower. Not only does marketing play a key role in pricing, but other expenses must be factored in as well. Gas for instance. Did you know my typical day of showing homes can easily cover 4 - 5 counties and 100+ miles. Much unlike a more urban area where you can show a buyer 5 or 6 houses in one neighborhood!

If you'd like to know more about our marketing plan, please feel free to give us a call. We are very familiar with the market in the area where your cabin is located.

Bill and Cyndi Daves
Coldwell Banker High Country Realty
With Five Offices to Serve You in Murphy NC
and Hiawassee, Blairsville, Blue Ridge and Ellijay, GA
828-361-9419 or 828-361-9783
Web Reference: http://www.TeamDaves.com