mwwoody, Home Seller in Bay Point, CA

how many open houses should I have to sell my home in bay point and gt the highest offers?

Asked by mwwoody, Bay Point, CA Fri May 17, 2013

Answers

11
That's a hard question to answer....these days, all it takes is one!

Remember also, that open houses do not sell homes...they just get people in to see it!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 17, 2013
It is not the number of open houses that will determine what the highest offer will be. It is sensible pricing at the very beginning of your marketing. In fact the longer you are on the market, ie: the more open houses you have the lower the price will probably go.

Your best chances of getting the best and highest price for your home is in the first 30 days and during the first or second open house. After that the house looks market worn and buyers ask the proverbial question "How long has the house been on the market?" The longer it is the more the buyer starts to deduct from the price.

I hope you are planning to use a realtor or licensed broker to sell your home. There are so many dangers inherent in selling your own home that professional representation generally means you will get a better price for your home and have less stress and headaches.

Thanks for the question
Pat Moore
Weichert Realtors
pat@realestatematters.com
If you have (1) a top-notch listing agent and (2) state-of-the-art marketing AND (3) you allow full access to your home so buyer agents can get in when their buyers are actually available, it’s possible, in the current market, to sell in 7 days with no open house at all. The vast majority of buyers coming through open houses these days are those who’ve seen the listing online and, because of the quality of the pictures and other marketing, show up to check out the house without their Realtor – which is not necessarily a good thing.

In reality, a large majority of agents holding homes open are (1) not the listing agent and (2) are not trying to sell the home – they are trying to pick up buyers.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 18, 2013
Hi Mwwoody,

I'm assuming you have an agent who is holding the open houses. However, if you are trying to sell the property on your own, it's a completely different story. Buyers don't have the same comfort level to discuss the pros and cons of the property with the principal so it may take awhile.

Hopefully, you have hired competent agent who will sell your home quickly.

Best of luck,

Barbara Grandolfo
Are you asking this as a "for sale by owner" who is trying to sell on their own?

Or, are you asking what we, as agents, do to market our listings? Open houses, for US, may be part of a comprehensive marketing plan, but not top on the list as far as actually getting the home sold.

As a fsbo, you may need a lot more open houses than we will need in order to get your home out there in front of the consumer.

My experience as an agent has been that open houses do not sell those houses........they may help other houses sell.......or help the agent obtain new buyers to work with....but if you're putting all your hopes into Sunday open houses as a way to sell your home on your own.....you'll need to come up with other options.

In today's brisk market, in many areas of the country, a really well-priced home won't need even one open house for the public........but one can certainly be enough.

Best wishes...........
Although I love doing open houses, this is NOT the only means to sell a house. No matter how many open houses you have, no matter how much you spent spiffing up the place or for staging, if your price is too high for the market, it will not move.

You only need ONE really good offer. You don't need to have multiple offers to feel like you have bragging rights.

In a seller's market, if all the factors are there -- priced right, looks good, in desirable location --- sometimes sellers can look at offers after only one open house, and they will get it.
mwwoody,
I love doing Open House's, both as a means to feature my listings and to obtain new clients. I have a theory however, too many open houses isn't a good idea.
A few years ago I had a client who wanted one every weekend. We said no, one weekend per month in our market was enough. Too many will seem desperate and interfere with agent showings.
If you hire a great agent, I would encourage you to listen to them. If you didn't hire a great agent, why not? They know your market better than you or anyone here.
In this market, I generally hold an open house on a Saturday and maybe also on Sunday, and that's usually enough for the showing. This also minimizes the inconvenience to the sellers with so many people viewing homes in this market . My recent listing in Pittsburg-Bay Point received 16 offers in a few days time and another recent property in Antioch received 15 offers, also in just a few days.
As a buyer - which I noted in my comment I agree that this is definitely the market in this area. I don't know of a home I have looked at that had less than 10 offers within a few days of an Open House. It could depend on the price point of your house, but in the price range we are looking in, that is definitely the case.
Flag Fri May 17, 2013
Although it is definitely a Sellers' market I am still a firm believer in accessibility.
Each market is a little different for which are the best days for open homes but I try to have one on Saturday and Sunday to cover all the bases.
Remember that when the neighbors are looking that’s a good thing. They will tell their friends and relatives and increase the word of mouth.
I have traditionally always done at least two open homes and if it doesn’t sell the in first 10 days we do another round.
Just my 2 cents as a buyer in this market....

I've actually been looking in the Pittsburg/Bay Point area and from a buyer perspective all I can say is I can't imagine you needing more than one if you have a home that is in decent shape. Everything I have looked at has had multiple (double digit) offers within days of having the Open House. From a buyers perspective it is very discouraging because you have no clue what kind of an offer it will take to get your offer accepted. And then even if it is, you have to wait and wonder (unless you are paying cash) if the house will appraise for what you offer and if not, what do you do... It's not all about the highest offer, unless it is a cash offer if your home won't appraise.
Open House is one of the best tools we have in our bag; it's a shame that some people are negative about it.
I have found that interested buyers like to drive around the neighborhoods they like and look for OPEN HOUSE signs: I like to floor the area with signs, to make it easy for them.
I like to schedule one the first weekend that I can, and another two weeks hence, and another two weeks later.
Open House is just one of the Marketing tools we can use; but nothing else can capture the Buyer's attention like it.
If there are other houses Listing in the neighborhood; I call the Listing Agents and encourage them to hold one at the same time. Its like; the best place to put a restaurant, is on the corner with three other restaurants.
I also do a Broker's Open House, with snacks and drinks, for other Agents.
It's all about exposure.