Lissa Juan, Both Buyer and Seller in San Francisco, CA

how long will it take to sell my 2bed/2bath loft in potrero hill, if i put it up on the market in march?

Asked by Lissa Juan, San Francisco, CA Wed Feb 16, 2011

Answers

31
Lissa - it took 9 days to get an offer on our TIC listing in the Inner Richmond last month. Yesterday on day #6 of our Condo listing in Cow Hollow we went into contract. This morning a buyer of mine got into contract on a North Beach condo on it's 7th day on the market.

What's the key? Price it right, and market the heck out of it. Check out one example of how I market at:
http://www.TopFloor3rdAve.com

Potrero Hill is hot right now, so you have the same opportunity. Just don't fall victim to trying to price too high. That often leads to lower eventual sales prices after many months on the market.

Of course every property, location, and seller are unigue, and you might actually prefer a longer sales period. So please feel free to call or email me to run your specific situation by me.

Rob Regan
PS - see my trulia profile or visit the above link for my contact info
That is difficult to predict, especially with the changes with financing. What is your loft zoned as? A condo? A Townhome?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 23, 2011
It depends on how you present it and how much you want to sell it for. Do it right the first time, and you won't have to play any "what if?" games later.
Web Reference: http://www.paulhwang.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 18, 2011
You will want to position your property to sell within 30 days of listing.
Web Reference: http://diannelangston.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 16, 2011
Lissa,

I echo the comments of my colleagues-Price is one of the most important factors in selling your home. A Realtor can provide a detailed market analysis specific to your property. If you price it correctly then it should sell quickly.
Currently there are only 3 other 2b/2ba properties for sale in Potrero Hill and none of them are lofts.
Interview some agents and work with the person that you feel will be a good fit and will successfully sell your home.

Lizete
Web Reference: http://www.LizeteSantos.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 16, 2011
Lissa Juan

A better question might be how long will it take to sell for the maximum possible price? Of course you can quickly sell anything if you underprice it. Maximum return in the quickest time is key - especially if you are also trying to make a purchase. For that answer I would need more information. Feel free to contact me for a phone consultation.

Oggi Kashi
Paragon Real Estate Group DRE 01844627
415-690-3792 M
415-874-5020 O
Web Reference: http://www.oggikashi.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 16, 2011
Lissa,

It depends on 3 major things:

1. The property itself - layout, condition, etc...
2. Pricing - priced properly properties in SF still sell quickly. Price to leave room to negotiate and you will likely either not get offers or end up chasing the market downward and end up selling for less.
3. The marketing campaign. Public access to the MLS has changed the way properties need to be marketed. An effective campaign can sell properties where others fail.

If you would like to see a proposal for your property our contact info is below.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 16, 2011
Hi Lissa,

Pricing is the most important thing when selling a property. First, you need to see what similar units in your area are currently listed for. Depending how motivated you are, you might want to price it slightly below your competitors to attract more buyers to your place. Also, look at the previous sales in your area that have sold within the last three months and see how they performed. Hopefully, this will given you an idea how long your unit will sell.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 16, 2011
Great question Lissa,

A lot depends on a seller's expectation of the market and an agent's skill in communication. There are homes on Potrero Hill that have sold with multiple offers in a matter of days and their certainly are those that have sat around watching our two seasons pass by.

There are many considerations and my associate Oliver Burgelman and I would be happy to discuss them with. We're Zephyr Real Estate - We're all about San Francisco
ABZ@ZephyrSF.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 16, 2011
Hi Lissa,

It depends on the condition of your unit and the price you decide to sell your unit based on that condition.

Also pending litigation or assessments for your complex make a difference.

If you need help figuring it out or want a free price analysis of your property feel free to contact me.

Thanks! Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 16, 2011
Hey there,

This could depend on many factors of your loft, the location within the complex and it's location in general in Pot Hill. But the average days on market for condos/lofts from 03/10 -present is about 75 days. Here are some stats:

Average Days on Market: 75
Average List Price: $696,180
Average Sale Price: $705,160
Average Price Change: -2.26 %
Average Square Feet: 1309
Price per Square Foot: $517

Let me know if you want more detail. I can email you recently solds. There really isn't much good inventory out there right now and there is a new surge of buyers. It really may take you less than 60 days to sell given the current lack of good inventory. Good luck and feel free to email me if you want more info!

DiPali Shah
shah.dipali@gmail.com

01249165
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 16, 2011
DiPali: Good answer, but almost no one buys or sells an average. Most people think their property is worth more than it is, and most buyers don't want to pay what market says it is. That's where you earn you $. A Q that
provides so few facts may be a set up by someone playing with you?
Flag Thu Jan 8, 2015
March is a great time of year to put your property on the market in the real Estate market cycle in San Francisco.

Currently there are not too many 2 bedroom condo options in Potrero, so if you set the price correctly according to market conditions and present the property well, it could really shine.

I would be happy to give you more specifics about the numbers behind selling in March and what you could possibly forecast for the days on market of your home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 16, 2011
If its priced right, and inspections are done ahead of time, it can sell very quickly. If you started today, you could get most of the pre-sale stuff knocked out this week - cleaning, painting, repairs, de-cluttering, inspections, photos, etc.

Typically a good agent will want to have a open houses on two weekends and a Tuesday broker's tour. Pick a day to accept offers the following week. There may be counteroffers which may add a few days. Then, you go into contract. An all cash deal with no contingencies will close a lot more quickly than a financed deal. This is why, in many cases, the highest offer doesn't win.

Off course, you could get a pre-emptive offer that you decide to accept and close the deal in one day.

If you are worried about move out date, you can always make the part of the deal.
Hi Lissa,

Selling it for the right price usually determines how fast your home will sell. You of course don't want to sell it for less than it's worth, and want to sell it for top dollar as fast as possible.

Working with a top agent is really the way to go. Check out UpNest at http://www.upnest.com/ to have top Realtors compete for your listing. When agents are competing you'll be sure to get the best services and commission rates. We only work with experienced professionals who know how to sell a home fast and for top dollar.

We also wrote a blog on your first step to selling your home that you'll likely find helpful: http://www.upnest.com/1/post/home-selling-step-1-choosing-an…
Lissa,

You have already gotten many good answers that will help you move in the right direction. While no one can predict the market, Potrero Hill is a sought-after neighborhood and your loft ought to sell in short order. There are many important factors in order to sell quickly:

1. Competitive pricing
2. Marketing
3. Preparing the property to sell
4. Great Communication

The exact location and condition of your property are of utmost importance. That means a physical inspection of the loft is essential for any real estate professional to provide you the most accurate information in alignment with the comparables.

Feel free to contact me for more details and to address your specific situation.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 7, 2014
Hi Lissa, Improving your curb appeal, it can definitely see a lot faster, and sell for more than you had imagined. I have created a digital design service for home exterior redesigns without a full renovation, you can see examples of our work here : http://www.nuhomdesign.com/

By making small improvements you can easily increase the value of your home and of course, make you and your neighbors happy!

Rosemary Williams
Lissa,

In 2010 about 35% of all properties sold in SF closed within 45 days and on average, closed over the asking price. This means most of these properties received offers and went into contract within the first 2 weeks.

Market timing, correct entry price, well thought out preparation, and smart marketing will usually get you the highest price in the quickest time.

Oggi Kashi
Paragon Real Estate Group DRE 01844627

All data from sources deemed reliable but subject to errors and omissions and not warranted.
Lissa,

The only one who said anything about years is an agent from out of the area. Priced right with good marketing your place will sell quickly in this market.
Whoah,
I agree that a realtor can not predict the future, but I strongly disagree with the idea that a home with the perfect everything including marketing will sit on the market for years that is rediculous - at least in San Francisco which is what we are talking about. Marketing includes understanding demand, and a properly priced and merely resonably marketed home on Potrero Hill will not sit on the market for years - the four sales of lofts I've tracked in the MLS since September all took over a month, less than a year. The two that took over 200 days are listed as having sold at or above asking - but there may certainly have been price reductions involved. Pricing is a key component for the sale of your Potrero hill home - and there is absolutely no reason that sale should take years you just need a competent local agent.
Your property should sell within 30 days of being listed. This is an active market.
To many factors to consider, Price it right, location location, be prepared house should be ready to sell. Chat with a local Realtor.
It is understood that no one can predict the future...but as many agents in San Francisco knows, a home should sell within 30 days or less...if it doesn't sell, then there's a reason why.
Realtor can't predict the future

We can have a listing with perfect everything including marketing CAN sit on the market for years. THEN have a ugly home poor everything as multi offers sells in less than 24 hours.

Your listing would provide you stat's for your area

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Your property should get solid offers within 30 days and should sell by then; if it doesn't, then it's time to re-evaluate these factors: 1. Price; 2. Curb Appeal Frontage; 3. Interior conditions and how it shows; 4. What the real estate agent has done or not done; 5. Marketing and exposure; 6. How your home appeals to the senses (sight, hearing, smell, etc.); other factors, etc.

Also, as a potential real estate buyer, you should consider many factors before you buy a home as well.

I'd be happy to tell you what these are.

Peter Chin
DRE 01866332 Century 21 415-213-8220
Lissa,

I would echo my colleagues replies. Price is important but the way the the property is marketed is extremely important too. Buyers are out there and your property just needs to be exposed to them. I also know from experience that staging is always a big plus when I am taking clients through properties. I have seen staging make the difference between a property selling quickly or staying on the market for too long. The market has changed over the last year too - I just saw a condo this morning in Potrero that was on the market last year and did not sell. This year at the same price, it looks like it will be in a multiple offer situation in just a few days on the market.

If you would like more information I would enjoy meeting you and seeing your loft. You can reach me on my cell at 415-722-4018.

thanks,

Marc Dickow
Herth Real Estate
Hi Lissa-

If a property is priced right and shows well, I've seen them get offers within days. there are many factors that play into what to list a property at and how the market will respond to that. Interest rates are still very low and buyers are realizing they need to get in while they can. Feel free to email if you like and we can talk more.

Thanks!

Rich Bennett - 415.305.4911 cell anytime

Zephyr Real Estate
2500 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94114

DRE#01358540
Hi Lissa,

The 5 things that are the most important is Location, condition ( Is it in good shape and have a functional floor plan), marketing, pricing and working with a Professional.

If you take this advice, 3-14 days.

Cheers.

Tap
Lissa

There are several driving forces that determine how long a property will take to sell. Variables that you can control are selecting the best representation to market your property and the list price. Variables you can not control are pace of the market, location, and the trend of lending, particularly interest rates. Given the current lending climate and the inevitable upwards movement of interest rates buyers are becoming very active in San Francisco.

I would be happy to provide you a no obligation comparative market analysis of your property, and explain how branding your home with Pacific Union & Christie's Great Estate will give you exceptional results.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ken
Web Reference: http://www.gendemann.com
2 weeks if priced right. I sold 133 Connecticut recently in 2 weeks for $1.1M all cash.
Lissa since August 20th of last year, there have been two sales of 2 bedroom 2 bath lofts on Potrero Hill registered with our local residential property search. (There may have been other sales that were performed more quietly). One of these was listed as on the market for 38 days, the other for 263. Please contact me if you wish for more information.
Lissa- That is a question that has a lot of factors- the best way to do this is to comnpare the days on the market of solds in your area for like kind properties- any agent/broker can provide you with this information- something that should be in a listing presentation given to you- if it is not ask for it. Price also has a lot to do with how long a home remains on the market- if it is has the "Right Price" for its age, location, condition etc. you should sell it in the time frame that your market has established. Good Luck! The spring is a great time to list- !