Home Selling in Springfield>Question Details

musykals, Home Buyer in Springfield, VA

how does an in-ground pool affect sale price?

Asked by musykals, Springfield, VA Thu May 24, 2012

I am planning on selling my home in about 3 years. I have an in-ground swimming pool that I need to either refurbish or remove. The cost of demolish/removal is only a couple of thousand more than the removal. The question is what affect a swimming pool (in Springfield, VA) have on the resale value of the home.

Answers

8
If the pool doesn't get any special attention, it will actually hurt the value. If you make the in ground pool look new again, it will raise your value. It's all just a matter of cost vs income in the end.
http://www.sunsetpools-spas.com/pools/chicago-concrete-pool-…
where did you get your estimate? i need to do the same thing in northern virginia. thanks
An Appraiser told me that pools have a very stong curve on the value;
A new pool, with tiers, waterfall, extras and good quality, will increase the value of the property and the Appraiser take this into consideration.
However, the value drops off dramatically with very little age, to the point where they DEDUCT if the pool is over 5 years old: The main reason; all pools leak, and older pools leak a lot!

You won't know whether you new Buyer wants a pool, or not: Usually, people won't buy the house if they hate a pool; so it will filter itself out.

The majority of the time that a pool gets filled-in, someone is sorry, down the road.

Good luck and may God bless
I will answer your question very generally, as I have no idea about any other factors in your home. Generally speaking I do not think a pool it has an impact on resale, if it's nice it may improve the value slightly... if if it is old and utilitarian - you know, rectangular with no fancy anythings - then it doesn't have much value in dollars.

In our area there are people who like it and people who don't - and they balance one another out.

However, an inground pool in poor maintenance is not desirable and will significantly detract from your homes value, as you're selling a maintenance problem rather than an amenity. So you do want to do something before you list it.
Hi, Pools can be looked upon as a plus and also a negative with buyers. If there are no community pools in an area and most people have them it tends to be more of a plus. Another factor to consider, does the pool take away much of the usable yard... Once the local agents let you know what the trends are in Springfield you can dtermine what's best.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
I think that at least half of the potential home buyers in the Springfield area will either have or be planning to have small children, and, for that reason, won't even look at a home with a pool. I have been in the residential real estate business in Northern Virginia from 1973, and I have never seen a pool add value to a home except in the extreme upper price brackets, and there only on lots of one acre or more. I am convinced that, in any other situation, an in-ground pool is a value destroyer. I would remove the pool.
Erik made some good points below. I feel that it depends on the size of your backyard. If it takes up the majority of your yard, and it is in really bad shape, I would remove it and return the space to a grassy lawn as most buyers want to have some yard space. If you have a larger yard and the pool only takes up a section of the rear yard, then it could be beneficial to refurbish it. Pools are sometimes a turn off for families with very young children as they fear the child could fall in the pool and drown. But with families without children or with older children...pools can be a huge plus as it provides exercise and entertainment for everyone. If you keep it, it needs to be in tip top shape and have sparkling clear water. Landscaping is also important as to nicely accent the pool. I have sold many homes with pools and they can attract buyers if you have it looking fabulous and inviting. Keep that in mind and I hope this advice helps you make a more informed decision.

An ugly, unkept pool can definitely keep you from selling in the current market as people just do not want to have to deal with that at all. You would probaby lose more than twice than what you would spend to either refurbish it or demolish and and return the lawn to grass. Just don't expect to get a good sales price if you leave it in bad shape.
I would say it depends.
1. Do you have a community pool
2. What's the setting/privacy?
3. Fenced?
4. Any useable yard?

These are just some that come to mind. I have sold a number of homes with pools and would be happy to meet with you to discuss.

Kind regards,

Erik j. Weisskopf, ABR,CDPE,CRS,GRI
Re/Max Distinctive
Erik@AskMeAboutHomes.com
703.216.1222