Home Selling in West Seneca>Question Details

Linda, Other/Just Looking in 14610

how does a home list as mint cndition?

Asked by Linda, 14610 Tue Jan 26, 2010

Answers

10
If it is being marketed at "mint" condition it probably means that the sellers have well-maintained the home and also kept up with updating on a regular basis. That being said...it may look in "mint" condition to you or not. What one person terms as well-maintained may not to another. Obviously, look at the property and make your own judgment. You may find it is exactly as described and want to make an offer!

Sharleen Scholz
HUNT ERA
LANCASTER OFFICE
716-861-6106
http://WWW.HUNT4SHARLEEN.COM
Good call on Dino Debbie. I love him, he's actually my rigntone.

I would say that condition is different from dated. I have seen alot of homes that are in great condition and have been extremely well maintained for the age of the house. Paint and decorating can do wonders to a house and make it look good, but sometimes can hide the actual condition the house is in.

Actually I would say that if I saw a house listed as "mint condition" I would say that it is probably an older home that has been very well maintained, you just need to look past the decor.
Linda - you see what you started here? :)

Patrick - sounds like all that scene needed was Dean Martin or Frank Sinatra crooning in the background!

(crooming.....I am dating myself using that word!)

So, to sum things up Patrick - that was a "Mint Condtion 60's House" - stuck in a time warp !
Oh this was classic Debbie. 6ft tall pink lamp with an orange and pink fringed lampshade. Orange wall to wall carpet with white funiture (covered in plastic of course) a bar in the living room with those hard plastice chairs that were popular in the 60's.

The entire house was in pristine condition everything including the mechanics looked brand new. It was actually very cool looking. Made me want a martini (shaken not stirred).
You know Patrick.......like they say (who is "they" anyway?)...............one person's garage sale item is another person's new found treasure!

So we both agree, "mint" is in the eye of the beholder...............(still imagining that piink, orange and shag carpeting you mentioned........I actually had yellow shag w/w in my bedroom in my first home (circa 1976) !!!
Hi Debbie,

What may be old and dated to some may be classic and retro to others. I have seen plenty of homes listed as "mint condition" that have that royal blue carpet. A few months ago there was a house near me that was listed as "mint condition" and was a living museum to the 60's. Lots of pink, orange and shag carpet and in perfect condition. Groovy Baby!!!
I, personally, don't use the words "mint condition" to describe a home that I list for sale; because, no home is in perfect condition.
Have to disagree with you, my home is in perfect condition. It took a lot of money and work to get there.
Flag Tue Jul 31, 2012
Hi Patrick - ok .............so what does "top" condition mean? hah

Is a home in top condition if its 20 year old kitchen still sparkles, everything works perfectly and the royal blue w/w capreting in the living room looks like no one has walked on it?

Or....to be in top conditon .. does that kitchen have to be new, with granite.... and the carpeting removed to show lovely hardwood floors instead?

See Linda - you started a big discussion here! (well, just a discussion between Patrick and me!)
Hi Linda........Not quite sure if I understand your question, but, I'll give it a try..............

"Mint" condition is in the eye of the beholder...............the agent is usually the one who will rate the home as being in mint condition... in their comments on the mls... or in a brochure or in an ad .....or online.

Now - someone might consider a house to be in mint condition if it has had a lot of upgrades and improvements - giving it a new and fresh look inside.

Others may rate a home as being in mint condition simply if it has been meticulously kept and maintained, shows well and is sparkling inside.......but not necessarily with newer upgrades

I, personally, wouldn't use the adjective "mint" unless there were upgrades, improvements, AND, overall, it shows well (just because there might be a newer kitchen doesn't mean it shows well)...as
I tend to use my adjectives sparingly!
Do you mean what are the qualifications to be considered mint? It's really a matter of opinion as to what is considered mint, but usually it refers to any house that is in top condition.
Todays buyers want overpriced junk that they can low ball.
Flag Tue Jul 31, 2012