Debbi(pa), Both Buyer and Seller in 08247

how do I market (sell) my historic home in bucks county, pa?

Asked by Debbi(pa), 08247 Tue Sep 22, 2009

Answers

6
You still need to consider adequate preparation, price and promotion, regardless of the type of property. I also live in a 100+ year old house. I personally think there are a group of buyers that won't even consider an older home--nothing you can do about that. If the house has been updated/modernized it is less of an issue. You may be able to find a realtor with expertise in marketing historic homes. Best of luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 22, 2009
Historic homes are not our expertise so I can't morally give you my sales pitch BUT if you need me to look up who has sold the most homes over 100, 150 years old. I can do a quick search in the MLS and see whose name keep popping up. You want someone who knows the kinds of hardwood, the name of special trims and doors and cupboards, etc. You need someone who has sold a lot of these who may even have the perfect buyer waiting for your home. Call me if you need some help.
Jeri
Debbie - I realize you posted your question a long time ago, but did you ever sell your historic home? In case not, I thought I would share a few thoughts.........

Although I recognize historic homes don't always sell quickly, I believe any WELL-maintained, WELL-priced home will be WELL-received by buyers. The key is to use a broker with excellent Internet marketing to find those special people who are willing to think outside the box and consider an old home.

This fall I sold an old stone Bucks Co farmhouse that needed TOTAL restoration. It took 18 months to find the right buyer, but there was excitement at the settlement table as the buyers and sellers spoke about the story of the home.....its past and its future. Last fall it took 9 months to sell a different Bucks Co farmhouse which had character galore but no updates. Thankfully the new buyer was old-fashioned and didn't mind!

And then there's my parents' 1750 Bucks County stone farmhouse which has been restored and expanded with authentic construction styles and blended with modern amenities. When it comes time to sell that one, there will be a line running down the street!!

Has your home remained true to the period, yet been updated to today's lifestyles? If so, I believe that there is a special buyer searching for YOUR home right now!! I'd love to know where your home is located!! Maybe I know it!!

Feel free to read my client reviews. I'd love to add your name to the list!
Peggy
215-869-7871
This question was asked in 2009 but there may be looking for answers. There are some people who love historic homes . Most buyers start their search on the internet. You need an agent who is good with internet marketing. You should also read how it is described in mls. There should be plenty of pictures. The house should show well. If you have something about the history of the house it should be mentioned and you should display the details at the house . You should price it right .Do research about the house and previous owners.Those specifically looking for such homes like to know the history.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
Debbi - I agree with Laura that the best brokerage gives you the best resources, and the agent who has a systemized "internet based" marketing plan will expose it to the most amount of buyers. Professional photographs go a long way in accomplishing the this also. I recommend you interview several Realtors and determine how each might fit your needs best.

Brian Hicks
Hi Debbie,

The key is to go with an agency that has a proven track record in Bucks County. My office is one of the largest in the area and we have a ready pool of buyers for just about any type of home. Once your home is listed we get the word out as soon as possible with an extensive marketing plan. Historic homes are unique and there are lots of buyers just waiting for that right house to come along.

Interest rates are still at historic lows so if you would like me to preview your home and help guide you on the right track, call me at 215-221-4677 or email me at Laura.Blaney@prufoxroach.com and I would be happy to meet with you and provide comparable homes sales so you can see what historic homes are selling for now.