Tom Cunningh…, Both Buyer and Seller in Oceanside, CA

how do I list my house for sale?

Asked by Tom Cunningham, Oceanside, CA Tue Jul 28, 2009

Answers

20
Actually, Dave, sometimes it's as simple as someone purposely digging up any, including old, questions in THEIR AREA so they can respond ............if you scroll down, you will see the first one to asnwer/resurrect this old question is from CA, like the poster.

Once it is answered, it then appears on the first page of trulia questions........then people respond , often without realizing it's an old question!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 31, 2011
Hello Tom,

I would recommend that you contact 3 local Realtors to set up an appointment to interview them. Make sure to interview agents that are familiar with your area, and that have sold homes in your area. Each agent should present to you a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) and a Net Sheet. These items will show what comparible homes are selling for in your area along with all the costs affiliated with the sale of your home. At this point once you have found the agent that you feel comfortable and confident with the sale of your home you can make your choice of agent. If I can be of help referring you to some local agents or if you have any further questions please let me know. Best of luck!

Matt
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 28, 2009
lol Debbie i didn't realize the question was old.. too funny and your post before mine didn't show up until today.. but i looks like you posted before me at 9:23. you know computers and cell phones can be funny. Even with text messages i have seen them go through on my end but no get to certain places for even a day or two.. But yes you have a GOOD point! :)
Call a realtor you like and trust!
see - I rest my case!
Once an old qestion is resurrected ,it finds new life because most don't bother to check the DATE on the question!

This has been brought to trulia's attention numerous times - Simply making the font darker would help, but they are not inclined to do so....
There are many ways. But not all are good. you can try craigslist, local papers, e-bay etc. I have sold a few homes myself BUT feel it is always best to have a Realtor and a Broker back the contracts. Even with that said things can go wrong. But trying to list a home yourself to save on commission can be asking for some legal problems, unless you really know what you are doing. Plus letting a Realtor list your house gets it on the multiple listings, which opens up more doors for a quicker sale. so I guess you can see, in my opinion it is best to use a Realtor :)
hmm I cant see what the advantage of that would be, seeking answers to vague questions like how do I list my property for sale arent really restricted to a region. I think its just people scrolling through questions to answer so they can get ribbon under their name!
I think google indexes the content so Trulia ranks better, also having your name indexed on google is not bad if you are in this line of work. And the knowledge base being larger makes it more functional for information seekers.
well Dave, it looks like you're not alone! haha

Dan - as an FYI - the question is over 2 years old!

Ron, for some reason none of these RE sites like to remove old questions....I just don't know how, or why, they are resurrected
Listing your house can simply be done by calling a reputable agent. Be aware of a nuance in NYS laws. You can give the agent an exclusive, which means only his firm can advertise and show the house, with Multiple Listing Services, they will co-broke with another agency. There is also an exclusive agency, which means you can sell the house directly without the broker and a commission. However the named agency is the only agency that can sell the property, they can still co-broke with another agency.
Another Q that should have been deleted!
Haha, gotta check those last couple of digits Debbie!
Since Tom asked this question over 2 years ago, in July, 2009 let's hope he sold it long ago.
Tom, if you want to list your house for sale, put it up on Craigslist, Ebay, Your local paper, etc. I believe you can list by owner on Trulia as well. (not 100% sure).

Take really good pictures and be ready to show at all hours of the day, night and weekends.

If you are planning on representing yourself throughout, its worth me mentioning that ut could be very time consuming on your part to figure out through trial and error how to show your home and negotiate a deal.

If you had a realtor who you think was an idiot before, I would suggest calling around and "interviewing" realtors. Take the person you feel like understands you the best and knows how to address your concerns most satisfactorily for you only work with that person.
Hi Tom,

If you are referring to doing it yourself, then just simply call one of us anyway. Get someone who understands your area. There are plenty of qualified Realtors in Oceanside that you should consider to help you out. After all, it's all we do.
Tom, it really depends on how much of the work you are willing/able to do yourself.

If you want to go the traditional route, you ask some friends for a referral, and you call a realtor that comes highly referred. You can also check the testimonials on Trulia, or other sites.

If you are more interested in doing it yourself, start with Trulia, Craigslist, Zillow, and the other real estate targeted sites and knock yourself out. Please note that you will need to make yourself available to show people the property and will probably need to get some help from someone in handling the paperwork.

Let me know if you have questions.

scott@scott-schroeder.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 22, 2010
You can list your property on various websites yourself, through newspaper (though a less effective media). It's not difficult. But it is wiser to find a competent Realtor who can consult and guide you through the transaction less painfully. It's agonizing to sell in a buyer's market but make the best out of it. Find a Realtor whom you trust for his/her competency and feel comfortable with as a person.

Timing is the essence. The longer your property stays on the market the less value it may be. Have a real solid plan not just a listing.
Hello Tom,

I also agree with Tom insofar as contacting local Realtors. While the internet has leveled the playing field with sites such as this, nothing beats actually connecting with a professional who lives, works, and specializes in a particular market segment.

This is a challenging time in the market, and there may be delayed-sale alternatives available to you that would allow you to retain tax benefits, make additonal income from your property and access an even larger pool of potential pool of buyers. My team and I would be happy to provide further information.

Very best regards,
Laura Garrison, CRS, GRI
Hi Tom,
Are you referring to listing with a Realtor? You have several in your area that can be of help. Also, since your home is competeing with the foreclosure market, have you thought about hiring a real estate stager to do a consult? For as little as a hundred dollars they can provide you with lots of suggestions to help you prepare your home for sale correctly and do it yourself. They have the buyer's eye, not you. I can refer someone to you if you like as well as a stager friendly Realtor.
Lori Kim Polk
Artful journey designs and Staging
You mean on trulia or with a realtor?