Home Selling in Phoenix>Question Details

Yogasue42, Home Seller in Phoenix, AZ

how can I find out who holds the mortgage on a piece of property?

Asked by Yogasue42, Phoenix, AZ Wed Feb 1, 2012

I want this property sold but I need to know how much is owed on it first.

Answers

7
You can search the ownership records at the county recorders office, they can tell you who hold the mortgage
that lender can tell you the loan balance.
Hi, This information is typically public record and can be found at the local town offices...

Chris
The portion of your "I want this property SOLD but I need to know how much is owed on it first" doesn't make sense. I'm guessing you'd like to purchase the property. If that's the case, you need to know more than just "who" holds the mortgage on the property, you need to know how many mortgages are on the property as well as any liens (i.e. hoa liens, tax liens, federal tax liens, city liens, etc) of any kind. You can contact a title company and for a fee, they will do a search for you. Contactng a title company for the search is probably the very best thing you could do to protect yourself if you're thinking of buying this property. Good luck!
No one has pointed out to you that this information is Confidential:

You may find out who the Homeowners and the Lender are,
But the amount of the debt is not for public knowledge;
Would you want everyone to know this about you?

If you are think about a Shortsale and you think that this knowledge would give you an advantage;
Think again!
This would be like asking the Bank how low will they go on the sale;

Good luck and may God bless
Yogasue42, search local county, township, borough, or city to find property and usually mortgage information is attached. Also ask a qualified Real Estate agent in your area to assist you. In my locale all that information is available to we Realtors in the tax records.

Rob
That should be public record. Check the County Clerk's office. If it isn't someone screwed up. Finding the balance is far harder to do and may take some detective work and even cooperation from the mortgage holder. That may not be forthcoming.
search the county for who has liens on it.