Home Selling in Philadelphia>Question Details

Luvee31, Home Seller in Philadelphia, PA

for personal reasons I would like to sell my home as is; I can't afford a lot of replairs. Should I use an agent or reach out to those sell as?

Asked by Luvee31, Philadelphia, PA Thu Jun 23, 2011

is site The house is in an up and coming area, minutes away from the airport. I just would like to sell the home and move to a different area, as I mentioned for personal reasons. Not sure which route to take regarding selling the home

Help the community by answering this question:


It all depends on the market in your neighborhood. Make sure you hire a great agent familiar with your area and the market in your area. Call me if you need a referral.

Gladys Viruet
Keller Williams Realty Sales Associate
Mobile: 914 589 2455
Fax: 914 713 3271
Office: 914 902 3277
Email: Gviruet7@aol.com
WEBSITE : http://westchesterpropertyspecialist.com

2nd largest Realty in the country!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 23, 2011

You can use a real estate agent and still offer the home "as-is". They are not exclusive....if you can afford an agent, I would suggest that you talk with one and get some information about your options.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 10, 2011

I am happy to discuss your needs with you. i can provide you options and you can still choose what to do...you can even have a Broker reprent you in a limited capacity too.

Bruce Lang, coldwell banker pref, 267 312 6221
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 10, 2011
GO with a local agent .they will do a cma and reach more buyers.if your home needs lots of repair you may have to come down in prioce!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 2, 2011
I have read the answers with interest as I am a Real Estate Investor and would love to give you some advice so you end up with the most money. Luvee31, you can do all of this your self if you look at this like a puzzle and each of the components below as one piece.

First you need to determine Market Value for your house and I suggest that you use the experts on both ends of the spectrum to arrive at your Market Price. The Realtor and the Investor.

First, call a Realtor and have them put together a Comparative Market Analysis (sign No listing Agreement), so you know what houses are selling for in your neighborhood (1/4 mile for the past 90 days... no longer). Look at each listing so you know what condition the house was in. Ask the Realtor to tell you where to price it.

Second call every I Buy Houses phone number you can find and get a written Purchase and Sale Agreement from each in the form of a contract. (Do not sign anything)

Third, put a sign in your front yard... for sale by owner and ask between 20% to 30% more than the highest investor is willing to pay.

That is the market Value... Sure this is an over simplification, but it will work and work fast.

Next take one or all of the Investor contracts and merge them together for one contarct that you like and is favorable to you. Meaning that if any buyer backs out you keep the monies deposited. Or use one that you like best and retype it use it to sell your house in its as is condition with no Warranty for anything and No contingencies. (You can certainly have it reviewed by an attorney to make sure that you have everything. I use a two page agreement and I would be happy to forward it to you)

Ask the buyer to put at least $1,000.00 down. Once you sign the agreement take it to the Title Company that you want to use. They will guide you through the whole process smoothly.

By doing the above You will avoid Real Estate Commissions and cut out the bottom half of the investor buyers.

Now that I have offended both sides... you will get your best price for your house in its as is condition and have the most money in YOUR POCKET when all is said and done.
Web Reference: http://westbrookrei.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 24, 2011
Good morning, I would like to discuss this matter with you. Please call me at 610-613-6988. My name is Tony and HAVE A BEAUTIFYL DAY.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 24, 2011
Hello Luvee31

Call 215-900-3447 today and we can discuss your house and your options.

Good Luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 24, 2011
Hi - I buy houses in the Phila. area "as is" for investment. I have my own crew and we fix them up for rentals or resale.... Please send me an email or call me with info on your home.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 23, 2011
Depends on the address and neighborhood
Web Reference: http://odonnellre.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 23, 2011
You always have the right to sell in an "AS IS CONDITION" the real question is what is the best way. Just as in any Business transaction you need to use an expert for two reasons one so it is done within the guide lines of the law and second so you get the best return on your real estate property. For these reasons the best expert would be one that you feel comfortable with and trust and has worked with Sellers that have the same type of reasons as you for needing to move. If you need any farther help please feel free to contact me at my e-mail PhilCunningham2004@yahoo.com or go to my Web site WWW>GreatPaRE.com. I hope this was of help and always use a state licensed Real Estate Agent.
Web Reference: http://www.GreatPaRE.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 23, 2011
Hello Luvee,

Most are in general agreement. determine the value. decide if fast at any price is best, or if you prefer a longer period to try to get decent "as is" value.

My opinion. Bring an agent (or agents) in to give you a CMA (comparative market analysis). which is essentially a "market value" when you arrange tell them your plans. Many agents "over price" a home to get the listing. that does NOT sound like what you want. with that value in hand...make a decision to list or not.

IMO the "we buy homes" people will offer you 50 cents on the dollar, at best. Buying low is how any investor makes money, and they look at distressed home sellers the same way a lion looks at a newborn or sickly and old antelope... like their next easy meal. ALSO...the contract terms such investors offer generally ARE NOT in your favor. Long or indefinite settlement date, next to no money down. control over the sale, but none to you. the MOST important thing you can do is to have any such contract looked at by a competent party, either a realtor if you know one socially, or an attorney, if you can afford one and the deal seems "fishy." That is not to say "we buy homes" are bad people. they perform a useful service to society, restoring beat up homes to good shape, which benefits NEIGHBHORHOODS too. But they cannot do it without making money, which is usually at the sellers expense.

if you list it... you will get more exposure and probably a higher price. PROBABLY that is your most advisable course of action. Price it well. you will get exposure. Many people are handy and just want a good price on a place they can spruce up. That is your "best" buyer.

I have tons of experience in this area. as an investor personally, as agent for some investors, and as listing agent for plenty of folks like yourself who just want or need out. If you want more advice etc, call write or text

good luck, no matter what,

John Leonard
Long & Foster Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 23, 2011
Hi Luvee,

Absolutely commit to a skilled Realtor who will provide you with a CMA Comparative Market Analysis' of similar properties. Your buyer may well use an FHA 203k streamlined mortgage. This type of mortgage can incorporate up to $35,000 to repair and upgrade things like windows, doors, kitchen, baths etc. However, if your home requires structural repairs or extensive remodeling chances are that the buyer will be a private investor/rehabber who purchases your home to upgrade and flip. Your realtor will know how to handle that.

Good luck.

Charles Balducci 215.531.2000
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 23, 2011
You can sell your home in "as is" condition by yourself or with a real estate agent. At the very least, you should expose your home to potential buyers by getting it in the MLS and other real estate web sites. You can do this by using a flat fee broker, a discount broker, or a full service broker. There are pros and cons no matter which type of broker you choose, so do your research before making your choice.

I will also offer my assistance in referring you to a good agent in your area or you may interview agents on your own. I feel obligated to inform you that agents who supply a simple referral to you, may receive a referral fee on the sale of your home. You should educate yourself further on this matter by performing a Google search on "real estate referral fee". Good luck with selling your home!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 23, 2011
Hello Luvee31,

I would be happy to assist you. I could come out and take a look and provide you with a Comparative Market Analysis to show you what the properties are selling for in your area and give you an idea on where to list your property at based on its present condition. We can put in the listing that the seller is selling the home as-is.

Feel free to call me at 267-688-1110

Warm Regards,

Keith J. Lawson
RE/MAX Affiliates N.E.
9237 Frankford Ave.
Phila, PA 19114
267-688-1110 (cell)
215-992-5534 (office)
LawsonRE@gmail.com (email)
http://www.keithlawsonhomes.com (web)
Member- N.A.R.,P.A.R.,G.P.A.R
Member - AREAA Philadelphia Metro
Follow me on Facebook at http://facebook.com/keith.j.lawson
Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/KEITHJLAWSON
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 23, 2011
For sure, you want to list with an agent who will determine the market value for your 'as is' condition house, and market the property to get the best offer. Find an experienced Realtor(R) who is familiar with your neighborhood.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 23, 2011
Dear Luvee31,
You can use a Realtor to assist you in the sale of your home and advertise it in "as-is" condition. That will give you the most exposure possible. Using those home buying companies, you will probably not get as much money for it. They are looking to buy it wholesale, fix it up and rent it or flip it. A Realtor has a better chance of finding a buyer that wants to fix it up and live in it, so they would pay more for your home. Also, try calling a professional, reputable insurance adjuster, he maybe able to get you some repair money if your repairs were caused by something your insurance covers. I would like the opportunity to see your home to give you a more acuate assessment. Feel free to call me at 215-779-2674, Andy Brown
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 23, 2011
Hello Luvee31!

Consult several local agents before making a decision. You might find general agreement on making allowances for anything that needs repair. For instance, if the carpet has some areas that have not held up to wear, you might offer an allowance depending on the size of the carpeted area. An agent can tell you if the buyer will insist on new carpet. Some agents are also recommending deal sweeteners. These don't have to come out of pocket. If you have equity, then you can take provide the allowances from what you get from the sale.

As is sales are generally associated with a sale price considerably under the market and for homes that have been foreclosed.

Location is important. But, based on what you have said, I think you would profit from talking to a few local agents and selecting one to represent you.

PML of Longmont, CO
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 23, 2011

I understand your situation and have had quite a few clients in the same boat (break-up, divorce, etc). I would recommend that you sell it as-is, but still use a Realtor. We can simply list it as AS-IS in the MLS. The fact that it is in an up-and-coming area is a good thing in my opinion.

Call me if you would like a no-pressure consultation. Eric
Web Reference: http://www.FamousEric.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 23, 2011
Using an agent will give your home the most exposure in the current market place through the agent's database with clients and other agents, especially if it is an up an coming area.

Get in touch and I can provide closing costs and a marketing strategy for you to get you to think it over. I know the Philadelphia market very well.


Carl Caldas
Web Reference: http://thinkcityspace.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 23, 2011
Good Morning,

There are ways to handle this scenario. The house could be sold as is and with that meaning your current home may not sell at 100% market value, due to repairs needed. Another scenario is to get an adjuster involved to have your repairs made if approved by your insurance.

Hope this helps.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 23, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer