Home Selling in Santa Clara>Question Details

Ckp, Home Buyer in Santa Clara, CA

flooring options

Asked by Ckp, Santa Clara, CA Tue May 18, 2010

We have a family room which has the main entrance and is adjacent to the kitchen.
Then the living room has a fire place and is adjacent to the family room.
It is a 60 yrs old house with concrete slab underneath.
The family room has stone flooring and the living room has brick like tiles.
What kind of flooring will enhance and appreciate the value of the house?
Our contractor suggested floating type wood in both rooms.
What are the pros and cons of solid type vs engineered type?
What are the pros and cons of floating type vs glued type?
Your comments are appreciated and thank you in advance.
I wish Trulia continued success.

Answers

13
CKP, after I sent my first email I realized I should have said more about the pad underneath. It can make a big difference in the sound you mention. Cheaper floors do sound pingy, but some of the thicker ones with higher end pad have a very natural sound. The people at the floor shop can demonstrate the difference for you. Some of the engineered floors actually come with padding already attached. Back to what you want though... If you are leaning towards tile because thats what you like then do it. By the time you go to sell it may be the most in style or it may be old enough that it needs to be replaced any ways. In the meantime you get to enjoy what you like. Make sure you have a good contractor who knows how to lay tile and it will look very nice. Many high end homes have stone floors... travertines and marbles. They can make a home look great!! Good luck. You will have to post some pictures some where when you are done to show us what you decided on.

Glen
Web Reference: http://www.maui4rent.com
Hi Ckp,

The last home i helped a client renovate with Slab floor, they chose to lay carpet on. Consult with a couple of different Flooring places, have them come out and see/check the floors, and then suggest what is best.
I agree with Glen, if you are planning on living there, lay the kind of floor you will enjoy and are comfortable with. If you are planning on Selling thats another story........Engineered wood looks good, and is hardy too, so that may be a good option. Then there are Tiles...if you want a fixed floor.. The "brick" floor would need prepping, but the contractors can guide you best.
All the best, regards,
Nina Daruwalla
When thinking about updating your home before a sale, remember that you probably won't get as much value back as you spend on the improvements. It's kind of like driving that new car off the lot. Once it hits the street, the value is lost. However, your old floors are in rough shape, not replacing them may hinder your ability to sell your home in a timely manner and for a price you can live with.

That being said, there are a lot of ways to update your home without losing value. I would probably go with the engineered flooring. It's relatively inexpensive and can be installed quickly. Also go with the floating type. Gluing down a floor can cause problems when there is a change in humidity. I'm a "do it yourself-er" and I have installed Pergo-style flooring in two of my rooms and had little trouble.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 17, 2014
I would check in with a couple flooring stores and get their input. Without seeing your place its a little hard to tell, but in general if you make it all the same it will flow better and not chop the rooms up. Are you doing this for your self or to sell? That could make a big difference. If you plan to be there for awhile pick out what you like. In general you don't put real wood on a slab foundation without building it up, so that would imply engineered is going to cost you a lot less. There are many laminate brands out there and each has a different system. It seems that most of them go with the lock system now versus gluing. I would recomend going with something that has a 20-25 year warranty and is 7+ mm thick. Hope that helps, but take a visit to a flooring store and look at some of your choices and get some samples to take home.

Glen
Web Reference: http://www.maui4rent.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 18, 2010
Thank you for posting your question on Trulia,
I recommend hardwood floors, it seems to be the most popular type of flooring with the buyers!

I am also a fan of hardwood floors. They are popular with buyers and show well.

Arpad
I vote for Hardwood Floors. However, flooring specialist are the best qualified to comment on the method and type for slab floors. Flooring experts should give the advice regarding the type and installation.
Hi Ckp

Since, 2010 Hopefully you have finished your build and sold the home by now

I would have laid engineered floor on top of a leveling floor with sound insulation at
0.10c - 0.25c a foot.

Best regards
Perry
There are so many options for flooring that it's hard to decide what would be best. Every buyer will like something a little different, too. I have found that ceramic tile is quite popular, though. It looks classy while still being affordable.
I wish I could answer the pros vs the cons. I'm just learning this stuff myself so it is interesting to read up on others thoughts. I went with hardwood floor for us, but that is something I've always wanted.

Will Jenkins | http://www.hljanitorial.com/Commercial_Cleaning_Industrial_C…
The floating floors are easier to install thus less expensive to install. With regards to hardwood vs engineered. The main difference is that you can refinish hardwood while the engineered generally can not be refinished. I have seen the less expensive floors show traffic patterns so I suggest traffic and area rugs. It’s a warmer look anyway. The sound difference is not a real issue. Most buyers are so focused on looks that they would never notice. In fact most people would not know the difference between a quality engineered floor and hardwood anyway. If you are going to stay in the home for any length of time, get wha you want. Unless it is way out there with regards to color or up keep. It probably will not matter. Put in what you enjoy. Below I referenced a site that you may find useful.
Hello Ckp,

On concrete, I would go for carpeting if financing is an issue and in most cases it is. As for resale value, make sure you work with somone in getting the best type of carpeting and if you go to home depot, they can also suggest some other inexpensive solutions that you wouldn't even have thought of. You can even take dimensions of your home, or room you want to decorate, and they can input this into their computer giving you the best visualation. Good luck :)

Kamal Randhawa
Broker
510-932-1066
Thank you Glen and Nina.
I plan to stay there but be prepared to sell it in case I need to for some reason.
I like to put new stone tiles and lay area rugs on top.
But does that make real estate sense?
Because I hear hardwood floors and granite countertops are selling points.
Does engineered wood have a hollow sound when we walk?
Is that a negative point?