Mimi, Home Seller in 94546

do we have a better chance of selling if we live next to an excellent elementary school? home on Somerset ave

Asked by Mimi, 94546 Mon Jun 8, 2009

Answers

6
Mimi:

Everyone loves the benefits of good schools and Castro Valley is certainly an oasis of good schools in the middle of other school districts that are not ranked as high. It’s been one of the reasons Castro Valley homes have held their value above neighboring communities. Given a choice of where to live, many choose Castro Valley for the schools. Others, wanting to live there for the same reason, unfortunately can’t afford the higher prices generated by, in no small part, to the quality of the schools.

Although ‘everyone’ wants to be in a great school district, not everyone wants to live right beside the school. Or across the street. Or directly behind it, for that matter.

Noise, traffic and roving kids are the three main detractors of homes close to schools.

1. Children certainly create noise. No getting around it. When they are out in the playgrounds, noise abounds. School bells go off numerous times every day. In addition, noise is created by the various sports clubs using the fields over the weekends.
2. These days, kids no longer walk to school – they are dropped off and picked up by parents, causing long lines of traffic before and after school. This can provide tremendous access problems at these times of the day.
3. Roving kids have been known to provide high levels of trash in yards and, from time to time property damage.

To specifically answer your question, I don’t believe being next to a school, enhances the value of your home. Regardless of the quality of the school. There are families who love the idea of their kids walking to school, and in those cases, your home’s location would be viewed as an asset. However, having sold a number of homes very close to schools, I’ve heard the buyers repeatedly comment on the three concerns shown above.

As has been pointed out, with proper Preparation, Promotion and Pricing (the 3 critical ‘P’s), your home will definitely sell – however, it will be the 3 Ps that sell your home, not it’s location next to a school.
Hi Mimi,

Great question. I used to live on Zeno Street, just across from Stanton Elementary School.
It is definately a plus living close by a school, but it depends where your property is located.
Somerset tends to get busy in the morning and afternoon, and some home buyers do not like the noise and
the traffic, which is created by a school.
However, three of my step childrent went to this school and with a proper marketing approach it can be a slight advantage in attracting buyers.
Remember, every property is selling, it is just a matter of price.
I have also lived on Louise Ct of Somerset, so I am extremely familiar with this neighborhood and I can determine a fair market value for any properties in this area with a perfect accuracy.
Good luck with your home!

Andreas Furtner/Broker Associate
Windermere Welcome Home
510-566-0636
Hi Mimi,

Castro valley has always been in demand because of the good elementary schools. I lived in Castro valley for 7 years and sell a lot of homes in Castro Valley. I always tell buyers about how good all the schools are in Castro valley. So if they cannot get into their area school for that year because it is full and get transferred to another school, chances are the other school is just as good.

Castro Valley is also very centrally located with easy access to major freeways like 580, 92, 880.

Please go to my link below on Castro Valley:
http://www.helpusellachievers.com/About_Castro_Valley/page_2…

If I can help you sell your home, I would be very happy to do so. Please call me at 510-279-9580

Meena Gujral
Help-U-Sell Achievers Realty
510-279-9580
Mimi,
Having a home next to a school can certainly be a selling point, particularly since it is a good one. Being able to walk to school is a huge advantage that is being offered in some of the newer subdivisions, so the fact that you live in an established area and so close to school is an added bonus. There are other factors to consider when selling like condition, # of bedrooms, lot size, price, etc. An experienced agent will be your best asset when selling your home and they should walk you through all of these and give you advice on how to best market your home. Feel free to look at our seller information on our website at http://jscarealty.com/communities.php and please let me know if there is anything else I can do.
Erica

Erica Jones Starkey
Broker, Co-Founder
JSCA Real Estate Group
Providing Superior Solutions for Your Individual Real Estate Needs
http://www.JSCArealty.com
office: 925.989.1613
fax: 925.905.2417
Mimi:

You live in the part of Castro Valley that is covered by the Castro Valley school district. As you know, other parts of Castro Valley fall into the Hayward schools zone. I’ve had many clients tell me that they want a home in the Castro Valley Unified School District – not the Hayward School District.

As you may be aware, home prices in Castro Valley are actually on the rise. There is currently a shortage of available homes and multiple offers are being seen on almost every property that comes on the market.

As I mentioned in the Real Estate Realty article I wrote for the Castro Valley Forum that appeared last week, “buyers are now flooding into the market, current inventory of homes for sale is rapidly disappearing, multiple offers are everywhere and pending sales are taking off like a leap frog on steroids. If ever there was an opportunity for sellers, this could be it.”

Indeed, for many Castro Valley sellers, this is a wonderful time to get your home on the market. Own a 1,500 square feet or smaller detached single family home with a minimum of 3 bedrooms? Your home is currently in high demand. If properly prepared and marketed effectively, you can actually expect to get a great price in the current market. Of course you won’t get the types of prices we would have seen in 2005 or 2006. We won’t be seeing prices like those for a while. But it will sell, and probably very quickly!

Good news indeed for those who’ve seen their home values plummet and equity disappear like an ice sculpture in August. As for that silver lining? If you own a single family detached home at the lower end of the market, that silver might actually be gold.
Web Reference: http://www.carlmedford.com
Mimi

Your chances of selling will be enhanced if you live in an excellent school district.

But that's not all that matters. There are the basic c's:
1) clean -- deep cleaning, and good-smelling
2) de-Clutter --- if you can pare down your personal possessions to 50% of what's there, that's a good start
3) color --- neutralize as much as possible, with color as accents

AND
Curb appeal ---
Condition of the property --- repairs? upgrades?
Ease of showing --- no lockbox, no show
Market exposure --- reaching the biggest target market and audience
Light it up! Dark means gloomy. Light means life.

STAGE it for success. Do it yourself, or ask a professional for help.

Above all: PRICE!
If you price it aggressively or ahead of the market, you stand a much better chance than if you overprice it even by just a little bit.
And if you need to lower your price to adjust, make it count. Don't do $10-20K at a time.

Hope this helps.