Seeweeds, Home Seller in 11231

do i have to notify tenants before putting house on the market?

Asked by Seeweeds, 11231 Wed Feb 23, 2011

Answers

18
Dear Home Seller,

You should notify your tenants that you will be putting you home on the market. They maybe interested in buying it from you . You should also introduce your realtor to thetenants it will make showing the home to buyers much easier.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 5, 2011
Trust us, it is better to sell a vacant house then to deal with agressive non-cooperative tenants. We came within a day of losing a very large commission because the tenants refused to cooperate and move out on time.

Before you do anything invest the few hundred dollars to consult with an attorney specializing in tenant landlord matters. If you need to evict it can take months to get on the court calendar in Brooklyn. I would folliow the attorney's recommended protocol regarding notification etc.

Best of Luck...

Bonnie Chernin and David Rogoff
Fillmore Real Estate Branch #19
2926 Avenue J
Brooklyn NY 11210
917-593-4068 (David’s Cell)
646-318-5031 (Bonnie’s Cell)
davidrogoff@fillmore.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 25, 2011
I am a renter on a month to month lease how much notice is my owner required by law to give me before putting his home up for sell
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 27, 2015
yes, you have to give the tenant 90 days notice BEFORE you put the house on the market. This allows them time enough to start looking for another dwelling, or if they are interested in purchasing the property from you, time enough for them to arrange financing. But you need to give them 90 days notice BEFORE you put it on the market.
Hello, I sell many multi-family homes in Brooklyn and this is not an easy question. Most of the times when you tell the tenants they may become angry and uncooperative when it's time to show. If you don't tell then the agent will not be able to show the apartments in order to get buyers interested. Another scenario is, if you dont tell and they find out on their own then they can become hard to deal with during the process.

You have to know your tenants and their personalities and your relationship with them to know the right answer. I'm sure you'll make the right decision.
Web Reference: http://www.RhondaHolt.com
Yes you should. Why wouldn't you?, have you ever been a tenant?
Notifying tenants is a good idea. You should always strive to maintain a good report with tenants . Doing so will make your sale go a lot smoother and tenant will be more willing to cooperate with your agent.
It would be a good idea just to tell your tenats that will be selling the home are. They will corporate more with the agent and make the transaction easier.
Web Reference: http://www.desire2own.com
If you have a good repour with them it is always beter but if not let the agernt talk to them
Dear Seeweeds:

It is easier to sell the house if it is vacant because if buyers want to use the entire place for their own family members they will need it vacant. Also, if the tenants are out it is easier to show the property as you do not have to revolve around the tenants schedule. The negative aspect of this is that once the house is vacant you will no longer be collecting rent and if it takes time to sell it can become costly.

Also, if you need or want to sell now it may be difficult for you to wait for the tenants to move out because you do not know how long it will actually take them to leave. If the tenants are paying their rent and willing to cooperate, I would suggest you simply inform them that due to financial difficulties you need to sell the property. You can also indicate to them that you will be making every effort to have the new buyers keep them as tenants. You can also let them know that even if something were to happen where the buyers needed the apartments for them selves, you will give them at least a 60 day notice and help them to relocate. Us real estate agents help sellers do things like this all the time.

If you are going to sell, you should inform the tenants before you start doing anything. If they find out from someone else rather than yourself, they will be caught off guard and it may lead to hurt feelings and then a lack of cooperation.

Good luck, if I can be of further assistance please let me know.

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
Hey Seeweeds, it is a matter of courtesy to give the tenant the heads-up. This way the tenant would have sufficient time to start making plans to vacate the property. Bottom line is, handle the tenant with velvet gloves and everything would go your way smoothly.
Hi Seeweeds, you MUST notify the tenants and it is actually in your best interest. Their apartments will also need to be seen by every potential buyer and they will notification before their spaces are shown. Plus you will want them to clean their spaces, etc so that it shows in the best light. They can deny the right for their apartments to be seen so you will need to explain to them that you hope to find a buyer who will want them to stay. I actually have someone looking to purchase something for investment with tenants in it already and they won't live in NY so the tenants will love that they won't be bothered. If you are interested in my potential buyer please let me know more about the property. I would happy to help you in any way possible.

best,
Catherine Cleland
City Connections Realty
ccleland@ccrny.com
Seaweeds, I know there are fears of loosing tenants or maybe they will stop paying. But to the tenant the apartment is their home.

The best chance to make it work smooth is to meet with them and explain your plans. They will find out sooner or later and it's best to hear it from you!

They may not like the idea but if you treat them with respect they may reciprocate and cooperate. Mind you they will have time to move and the new owner may want to work it out that they keep the tenant. I would love to discuss this with you if you don't mind call me at 917 951 -1087. There is no obligation and I just might be able to help you.
If your serious about selling, You might as well, they are going to find out anyways..Its all in the communication.., if its the type of property that is more likley to be sold as income producing, I tell my clienys tenants, I wouldnt worry about it because the buyer would more than likley want them to stay, unless they are sloppy and dirty..If one of the units may be taken as an owner occupant, one may have to move, but tell them the closing process takes more than 30 days once sold, but could be on the market for a few months, so they will have pleanty of notice..Are ur tenants on a lease? if so, inform ur agent, that may effect the sale. As I said, its all how you present it, after all, u need thier cooperation for showing...If they may it difficult for showings, u will have a propblem selling..What kind of tenants and your relationship have alot to do with it..I have had great tenants and nightmares..An agent that has alot of tenant experience is what u will want..
If you do you run the risk of them vacating or even not paying rent. If you don't & its imperative that the property be delivered vacant then I would recommend it when in contract not before - unless of course you need to show they're apartments for the sale then you have no choice.
Why not let your tenants know, after all their cooperation is needed when showing the property; and who knows maybe they would like to purchase the property.....
Greetings,
You should let your tenants know once you have listed the property, when marketing begins. Are you looking to come on rhis Spring?
I highly recommend informing your tenants.
Most buyers want to view the tenants' apartments as well.
And informing the tenants usually allows the process to go smoother.
I would be happy to meet with you to discuss further. Also... if you like, I would be happy to perform a free home market analysis of your property's value.

Michael Dvorkin
Charles Rutenberg, LLC
mjdvorkin@gmail.com
917-334-8990
Web Reference: http://MichaelDvorkin.com