Home Selling in Dorchester>Question Details

Jill Amato, Home Owner in Dorchester, MA

considering putting my house up - should i add a 3rd bath first?

Asked by Jill Amato, Dorchester, MA Thu Oct 27, 2011

I have a 2 level condo. first level is 3 beds, 2 baths, living room, kitchen. Second level is 2 beds, and a second living room. Considering adding a bathroom upstairs since there are bedrooms up there, but I probably wouldn't see the return when selling. Question being: Would buyers lose interest in a place if the 2 bedrooms upstairs had no accompanying bathroom, or is it no big deal?

Answers

6
Dear Jill - I think it could be worth your while to put in the third bath. You might not get the full cost back but it would probably help you sell the unit more quickly. People do not like to have to go downstairs in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. An alternative would be to list the unit at a "wow" price and then the third bath probably would not matter. I just sold a house with three upstairs bedrooms and no upstairs bath but listed it at an eye-popping price--I had seven offers, it went for 12% above asking and the sale closed six weeks after the house was listed. It was worth it to buyers to take care of the upstairs bath themselves. One of my colleagues has worked in and lives in Dorchester and I'd be glad to come over with him and take a look at your condo. In any case, good luck to you.

Ellen G. Friedman, Keller Williams Realty, ellengfriedman@comcast.net or 617-448-1542 http://www.ellenfriedman.biz
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 27, 2011
Can you add a bath in a condo that easily without getting a permit and permission from the hoa? I would closely check all the 3 bed 3 bath sales in your area to see how much more they are selling for, and see if the additional cost would pay off for you. Generally major additions do not. Lower cost cosmetic stuff (paint, carpet, light fixtures)...generally has a bigger bang for the buck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 27, 2011
If you bought it with the current layout, won't there be another person who will like it that way too? Or, is the layout very unique for the complex, price-point, or area? Find out how long it was on the market before and if it was because of the layout/bathroom issue you have asked about or something else. Make sure you are working to solve the correct problem.
Hi Jill,
If you have the funds and the right contractors to help you get the job done and done correctly, I say go for it.
As a realtor I hear clients complain that they have to go downstairs in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.
I think it would help you sell faster, and you should see a return on that investment. Or, you could give an incentive to the buyer, say $3,000 - $5,000 for a bathroom installation. Also, make it a full bath not a half bath. Good Luck!

Sharon Lucido
Broker/Owner
Lucido Real Estate
Hi Jill You are wise to ask real estate professionals in the field who know the market and what home buyers are looking for this question. In my opinion being a condo with 3 bedrooms downstairs buyers would be ok with just those bathrooms, Think like a buyer Are you happy with them? Condo's sell for close to what others in the complex sell for so upgrades typically will loose you money. If you are looking for an agent for a free market opinion of value let me know I would be happy to recommend a good Re/max agent in your area.
Adding a bath is a major expense and i would say why waste the money.