Home Selling in Platt Park>Question Details

1393 S Pearl…, Home Seller in Platt Park, Denver, CO

completely updated Platt Park bungalow lacks dishwasher. will $2200 re-remodel plus $600 dishwasher give good ROI?

Asked by 1393 S Pearl St, Platt Park, Denver, CO Sat Jan 16, 2010

$1200 electric, $700 plumbing, $300 cabinet changes

Answers

8
1393 S Pearl St’s answer
Following Donna's and Brian's advice we installed the dishwasher. Compatible with Daniel's and Patrick's points this quality dishwasher seems a good finishing touch to a quality kitchen. Thanks to all who answered.
Lago

It does really depend on the other comparable sales. You can't see electrical and plumbing so they don't make a huge difference if they are the only things done. With that said they are great things to do. A $600 dollar dishwasher only makes sense if the stove and the refrigerator are also up to par. $300 in cabinet changes is miniscule. If you have thousands of dollars worth in appliances the cabinets better hold up to them.

And like Patrick said, if the other homes are selling for $300,000 no matter what you do you won't ever be able to make your house sell for $350,000. However it can go the other direction. If all the homes have granite counters and updated appliances and they are selling for $300,000, well you better have those thing if you want to sell for $300,000.

Along with kitchens and bathrooms, new windows are incredibly important in selling a house.

Take care,

Daniel Herron
Personal Real Estate Consultant
720-323-9178 cell
danielherron@kw.com
Web Reference: http://www.HerronsHomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 16, 2010
Today, a dishwasher is an expected appliance and a MUST have. It would not be uncommon to lose a potential buyer because of what is really such a minor issue. My opinion is most definately, yes, on the dishwasher. If I understand your question correctly, to install it will cost a total of $2,900.00 including all electrical service, plumbing, changing cabinet configuration, and the unit itself. To me, it is well worth the investment. In this case, with the installation of a dishwasher, you're not overspending for the neighborhood -you're keeping in competition with it. I think you're wise to consider this, and on the right track to making it the most saleable in the future.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 17, 2010
I would say that it would help. You have to put your self in the buyers shoes and see if you would choose a home without a dishwasher or one with one that were close to the same price. Think in that way I would pay an extra few thousand for a home i like to be able to do dishes and not by hand. This is 2010 and I feel like a dishwasher is a must. Plat park is a great area and most upgrades tp homes will be a good ROI.This is my opinion.
Brian
http://www.kennarealestate.com/platt-park-homes-for-sale.php
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 16, 2010
Depends on how it compares to other properties in the area. In this market it is possible to over improve for the area. If the remodel brings you up to par with what is being offered, it may be worth it to be competitive with the market. If doing the remodel puts you above the competition then you may not get back what you put into it. Kitchens and baths are what sell houses so remodel accordingly.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 16, 2010
Lago,
I have purchase-remodeled and resold over 50 homes. I have a very good eye for resale-and I always preview the competition (homes for sale in your surrounding area).
Let me know if you would like me to see your home and assist you in deciding what will bring the house value and what a potential Buyer would want. No obligations what-so-ever, would like to see what your thinking about doing.
Web Reference: http://stevedeckerhomes.com
Match the surrounding area, take a look at some that are on the market for a personal view of potential competition.
Baths are a great investment. floor coverings and paint dont usually increase value but help sell faster in my opinion.
Web Reference: http://www.owngj.com
Kitchens and bathrooms are the best places to spend some money. I'd also recommend painting any rooms where the paint looks dirty. I offer a free service where I will look at your home and give you specific recommendations that will give you the best ROI. Let me know if you are interested in this service.