Carla, Home Seller in 04038

can you post a for sale by owner ad or do you have to be realtor? If yes how do I do that? caruso393@aol.com

Asked by Carla, 04038 Mon Jul 27, 2009

Answers

8
You CAN sell your home but my question for someone wanting to sell their house by themselves is "how do you know what your home is worth?." You can't go just by the town assessment or estimates by online real estate sites. There are too many factors. You might be pricing it too low and lose out or too high and it just sits there.We have access to the sold prices of comparable homes. If you put it on Craigslist beware of scams and watch out for just anybody coming into your home to "case the joint." What you would spend to hire a Realtor could save you a lot, both in money and aggravation.
Hi Carla- There are some different ways to get it sold- and it is harder without a realtor, for sure. If you'd like a few specifics/ ideas, please let me know.
I'm a member of the Maine Real Estate Investor's Association, and also a licensed Maine Loan officer.

Thanks, and good luck,

Ken L.
Hi Carla,
The first place you should start is to put your property on MLS through one of the virtual services such as http://www.owner.com or FSBO.com that charge only a couple of hundred dollars (not commission) to use and then you will be able to place your property anywhere. On a site like this or the Z site it will come up automatically. On others you simply enter the MLS number and the world is your oyster.
Remember to offer Buyer's agents a fair commission which should be 1/2 of the area experience.
You can get a free list of Internet sites in chapter 10 of my free principles for Internet selling.

All the Best,
James Joseph
Hi Carla,

Please contact me and we can discuss your plans. There are many steps in listing a property correctly and getting the maximum exposure required to sell. This is a difficult market to try and sell it on your own. Unless you know of a neighbor or family member that would like to purchase it, FSBO's are not successful.

I would be happy to talk with you about the pros and cons. If you are just looking to "test" the market to see if you can sell it and aren't truly motiviated to sell, then my advice is to not put it on the market. Now is not the time to "test" the market. If your situation is that you are motivated, then your best bet is to hire a top producer like myself to sell it.

My contact is: CJ Dubois-Cote, Prudential Prime Properties, 207-615-1663 or cindy@prubay.com
You can but why would you. The liability in the litigis world is so high it is not usually worth the extra work to save so little money. You will have unqualified people tramping through wasting your time just to look at wha you have. Some people do this because they are nosy some because they have no life. As a buyer's agent I pre-qualify people before I bring them to your home. I do all the advertising and you get to relax. When it is all said and done you don't have to worry about someone coming back to sue you.

Remember, "Don't trip over dollars to pick up pennies", it is never worth it.
Web Reference: http://anneworthrealty.com
Hi Carla - Trulia does not offer "For Sale by Owner" postings. There are numerous other FSBO sites but it is not a feature of Trulia.
Hi

Of course you can post a for sale by owner. Craigs list is a very effective place.

Please do contact an attorney for help with your legal documents if you opt not to use a REALTOR. Also be aware that REALTORS carry special insurance that covers us in case of mis-representation etc. Our commissions are expensive - but statistics show that our costs are more than justified by the net profit you receive. Choose a professional REALTOR and if you need help let me know and I would be happy to make a referral to several and you can choose the one that works for you.

you can do it yourself.... there are no restrictions. contact where ever you want to advertise and find out the process. However, I'd recommend considering an agent because if you don't have a viable marketing plan then you need to speak to someone who can successfully market your home. in this market it's extremely helpful to have someone go to bat for you. You'll end up saving money in the long run...no joke... not that it is impossible to sell your home by yourself....it's just a lot more work than you think.