Rprout1, Home Seller in 19138

can i sell my home to my wife?

Asked by Rprout1, 19138 Mon Nov 9, 2009

Wife is not on the deed or the mortgage and i owned the house before we were married.

Yes, you can. It is an easy process. There are some additional questions I would have but it is typically a tad easier that a purchase from someone outside ytour family. Call me at 610-291-1460 and I can walk you through the steps.

Maura McDonnell
Yes, you can.

You should contact a Real Estate attorney that can put together the paperwork for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 19, 2009
With a lawyers help you can sell her the house. Transfer the house into just her name or put both your names on the deed. You could also set up a trust so you do not exactly own the house but have total control over it. But at your death the trust automatically makes the house belong to whoever you wish.

As I stated originally, with a lawyers help what you want done can be done. But sadly, it will also take some $$ to do it. Ask what your best options are long term. With estate planning issues in mind it is possible that paying more for legal papers now will cost much less later on.

The one catch would be the mortgage company. But as long as you can make the payments yourself what advantage is there to have her on the mortgage itself?
She would have to qualify for a loan (alone) at the amount you agree on the house AND have the house appraise for that amount if she was to get a new mortgage.
You need some legal, tax , estate planning advice perhaps. A few questions you should be prepared to answer: Is your wife currently on the deed and mortgage? What would you be trying to accomplish by selling it to her?
Web Reference: http://www.MainLineWest.com

You can sell your home to anyone. Are you wanting to sell to your wife because you are moving out or do you just want to add her to the deed and mortgage?

Its your home and you can do whatever you want to do.

Could you provide a bit more information?

Feel free to contact me directly to discuss your situation further. You can reach me at (215) 669-0589 or you can simply email me.

Renee Porsia
Associate Broker
(215) 669-0589 Direct
(215) 358-1100 Office Ask for Renee