Linda, Home Buyer in 44145

can i rent my home "by owner" while it is listed for sale with a realtor, without paying a rental commission to the agent ?

Asked by Linda, 44145 Sun Mar 21, 2010

Can I cancel or withdraw the home from being sold while it is rented?

Answers

5
Hi Linda:

I may be wrong, but it sounds like you do not yet have a real estate agent. (If you have an agent, I'm sure that person will be happy to answer these questions based on your current agreement.) Generally there is no problem with renting a home while you sell it. Agents deal with these kinds of situations regularly. But, do make sure your rental agreement does not interfere with the possession date on a sales contract if the buyers want to occupy the home on that date. Also make sure your renters are willing to show the home. You may have to offer a reduced rent for their cooperation.

As far a withdrawing after it is listed, I would suggest you find an agent who will write an escape clause into your listing agreement. You should, of course, be honest about the reasons you might withdraw the home.

I hope this helps!

Ron Rovtar
You'll need to read your listing agreement, but I would guess that it will likely include the payment of commission if the home is rented rather than sold during the listing period. Better idea to talk with your agent if you have decided to rent instead, and either change the listing to a rental or expand to be both "for sale" and "for rent" if you are striving to do whatever comes first.

If you want to rent on your own, then requested an unconditional release may be the best way to go. I cannot guarantee that you will get it, you may be bettter off just adjusting the listing to a rental and specify that tenant pays commission.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Linda
You can rent the home while is it listed for sale. However if you want to keep it listed you need to make sure their furnishings are not going to hurt your possibilities and make sure they keep the house decluttered and clean. And... they will cooperate wiith showing the house.

2nd question - You can ask the Realtor to cancel without recourse. If they won't you can make it very difficult to sell by changing locks and not letting anyone in to see it. If Realtor says they will not cancel you may ask their broker.

Good Luck!!!
Web Reference: http://www.di4homes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 21, 2010
In answer to the second question:

You can withdraw the home from the market to rent it as well if you prefer or the tenant prefers a home not being sold while they are renting it.

Kelli Glover
Keller Williams
Direct: 216-272-3877
Fax: 440-808-9344
Email: kelliglover@kw.com

Real Estate Professional
Your Trusted Advocate; Expert Customer Service, Proven Results!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 21, 2010
If you signed an Exclusive Right to Sell Agreement then the Brokerage selling your home will be paid regardless to where the buyer comes from.

Are you dissatisfied with the services of your current Realtor? If you are then you need to talk with that agent and express your concerns and if you can not get satisfaction with that agent you may want to consider withdrawing the home from the market and interviewing other agents to see who has the best services and marketing plan for your home.

My first step would be to contact your agent though and express your concerns to see if they can be remedied.

Kelli Glover
Keller Williams
Direct: 216-272-3877
Fax: 440-808-9344
Email: kelliglover@kw.com

Real Estate Professional
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 21, 2010