V, Home Seller in l

basement bathroom - can it be included in the listing detail? Where the search engine pulls from?

Asked by V, l Fri Sep 19, 2008

I purchase a 2 bed, 1 bath home....had the basement finished with a large full bath. My home is listed as a 1 bath on different web sites. My realtor indicated he cannot include a bathroom in the lower level to total number. Said it would have to be noted in property descripion area. I have moved ALOT ... I typically enter 2 bathrooms when beginning a home search. I understand a bedroom not being listed as such, I get the "rule". But a bathroom? It adds a lot to the home and will lose a ridiculous amount of hits only pulling one bath. I am not sure if he is correct and would appreciate any feedback!!!!

Answers

5
Mini Samuel’s answer
Since your home is listed with a Realtor in Kenosha, There is not a whole lot of advice another Realtor can give you especially another one in Kenosha.. I hope your issues have been worked out since this posting..
Thankfully I chose to use professional contractors vs. all of the "help" offered from aquantinces. Have permits and a quality job. This realtor stated, "system won't let the bathroom show in count, not bathrooms in a lower level "anymore". I wondered if his "anymore" meant this had been a recent change.....
I would list a bathroom in the lower level in my total bathrooms. ususally if say there is 6 rooms 1 bath ablove and 1 family room and a bath in the lower level you would list it at 7 rooms and 2 baths. there is a seperate spot for square feet ablove ground (glag) and a spot for sq ft below grade. your room count is your room count, you have to add it. the only time i stray is if there is a BR in the lower level, unless there are 2 exits from the room itself, i dont consider it a Br in my count but make a note in the descrition. Good luck
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
V
Go down to the Dept. of Building and Safety (see link) and ask to see the building permits for your property. Only permitted work is part of the building. If you did the work with a contractor who pulled permits, you can advertise it.

If you did not have the work permitted, in some cases you can ask if you can apply for one retroactively, but you may need to re-do work to bring it up to code. The moral to the story is that you should always try to do work with permits so it is covered by insurance (no permit, no proof that work was completed to code, for insurance purposes, it never existed).
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Never heard of not mentioning a bathroom if it's in a basement. Call your board of realtors in the area you live and ask them. We agree that listing 2 baths, instead of 1 is a bigger incentive to buyers. Maybe you need a CO in your area and that is what your realtor is concerned about. In any event, ask him exactly why it is not permitted.