Home Selling in 77056>Question Details

Arun, Home Owner in Rochester, MI

any legal advcie in selling a home?

Asked by Arun, Rochester, MI Wed Dec 26, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


Each state has its own real estate laws and customs. Your profile indicates that you are in Michigan so the advice you need is from someone who is totally familiar with Michigan’s laws and procedures for selling a home. Who would that be? My suggestion is a Realtor in the area in which the property which you are selling is located.

If you do not know a Realtor to whom you should turn ask friends or relatives who have recently sold or bought a home for a recommendation. You could also ask your banker or insurance agent if they know of a Realtor whom them would to you.

Selling a house is a big deal. A Realtor can help you get the best outcome.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 26, 2012
As a point of fact we right contracts for sales and so forth on a daily basis. We are not allowed to interpret them as we do not have a law degree. Most questions are easily answered by realtors with some knowledge and seldom require a lawyer.

Saul Carrillo
832-527-2268 saul.carrillo@carringtonres.com
3333 Alabama, Suite 125
Houston, Tx 77098
License No. 0573768 Atlantic & Pacific Real Estate (US), LLC
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 24, 2013
Realtors are not permitted to advise on any legally aspects of purchasing a home. It is always adviseable to consult with a reputable real estate attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 27, 2012
Hi Arun,

A realtor can help you with the contract aspect of the transaction and if you are still concerned, you can have an attorney look over your contract and any aspects that you are especially concerned about. Each state has specific rules for real estate and it would not be wise to have a realtor give you any legal advice.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 26, 2012

I am not an attorney, therefore I am unable to give you legal advice. You will need to contact a real estate attorney if you have specific questions.

In general when selling your home there are two forms that must be submitted to the prospective buyer.

a. House building before 1978: Disclosure regarding lead based paint and the federal pamphelt that goes ith it per federal mandate
b. Seller's disclosure bring to light any defects that the owner of the property is aware.

There are more forms that that need to be part of the sales agreemet depending on the property and particular seller and/or buyers' circumstances.

My recommendation is that seriously consider engaging the professional services of a broker and save yourself time, headaches and frustrations.


M.E. Mollie Carreon, AASRE, Broker-Associate
"Every deal is a good deal, but your deal IS A BIG DEAL!
Texas Real Estate & Co.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 26, 2012
The most important thing is to disclose. Lots of stories about lawsuits from people just not telling what they know.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 26, 2012
Forms You’ll Need to Sell Your Home
1.Property disclosure form. This form requires you to reveal all known defects to your property. Check with your state government to see if there is a special form required in your state.

2.Purchasers access to premises agreement. This agreement sets conditions for permitting the buyer to enter your home for activities such as measuring for draperies before you move.

3.Sales contract. The agreement between you and the seller on terms and conditions of sale. Again, check with your state real estate department to see if there is a required form.

4.Sales contract contingency clauses. In addition to the contract, you may need to add one or more attachments to the contract to address special contingencies — such as the buyer’s need to sell a home before purchasing yours.

5.Pre- and post-occupancy agreements. Unless you’re planning on moving out and the buyer moving in on the day of closing, you’ll need an agreement on the terms and costs of occupancy once the sale closes.

6.Lead-based paint disclosure pamphlet. If your home was built before 1978, you must provide the pamphlet to all sellers. You must also have buyers sign a statement indicating they received the pamphlet.

Fred Yancy, Broker
Crye-Leike Realtors
(678) 799-4663

oh and my most important legal advice . . . . hire a Realtor!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 26, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer