Tsopl, Home Seller in Miami, FL

against selling residential property when majority co-owner wants to...

Asked by Tsopl, Miami, FL Mon Mar 28, 2011

my great aunt "mom" raised me in this house since i was 6 months old. i've moved out many times since, but have lived here caring for her for the past 8 years. in 2006, she quit claimed the house to me and 2 other relatives. One of the relatives has since sold her 1/3 share to one of the other relatives . Mom passed in february. i am living in the house currently and have been paying the property taxes (house is paid for). Before mom passed, one of the 3 owners of the house sold their share to another owner, now leaving me with 1/3 ownership and another with 2/3.

The 2/3 owner (majority owner) is pushing me to sell the house now. A few months ago, he told me that he would do the right thing and split the proceeds of the house with me. Can i hunker down and not sell? or can he sell, having the majority ownership? i want it in writing that he's giving me 50%....he did nothing to care for her! greedy bast...

Answers

3
I think you should talk to an attorney.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 28, 2011
There's a saying in Spanish which translates: Clear accounts save friendships.

You're right, everything spelled out in black and white will save everyone a lot of trouble. But hire someone that represents your interests and let the other party worry about theirs.

We work with some great real estate attorneys, I can email you a few names and numbers if you like.

G.

Gloria Rodriguez de los Reyes
Media, Branding & Team Building
Avanti Way Realty
(786) 322-9438
gloria@avantiway.com

avantiway.com
joinavantiway.com
I have to agree with Gene, you should consult an attorney on this matter. When it comes to the rights of parties in a deed, the type of ownership held is very important. so absent any other agreement, he may have majority rights in the sale.

But a licensed real estate attorney can provide you options on what to do.

once you clear the ownership issues, we can help you sell the home and find you a new place to live.