Home Selling in Austin>Question Details

Scott Brunger, Real Estate Pro in Austin, TX

"Pocket Listings"

Asked by Scott Brunger, Austin, TX Fri Jun 21, 2013

Like most agents, I receive the email flyers, lots of them! One thing I have been noticing more and more of are the homes being advertised and not putting them in MLS. Why? Would it not be better to just list them so that they show up in property searches? I am not going to keep all those "flyers" in an email folder and search through all of them every time I am working one of my clients. If I was a seller I would want my home listed in the MLS and every where else possible! Anyone have any thought or insight to this?

Answers

5
Cindy Rodgers’ answer
My personal experiences with hip pocket listings has always been when a seller was in a unique situation and didn't want their home listed in MLS or on other websites, were not quite ready to put the home on the market but would consider showings and offers, or when a seller doesn't have to sell but would if the right offer came along but they do not want to actively market the property for sale. I agree that getting it in MLS and marketing it properly will get the property more exposure and hopefully a faster sale.
Pocket listings are an integral part of a well thought out selling strategy. In six days will be closing on just such a home that sold $32,000 above seller expectation and definately above asking price. Both the buyer and seller are estactic regarding the outcome.
-
You are disregarding what the buyer and seller REALLY want.
That insight is worth the price you pay.
Pocket listings work best for investment type properties where you are direct to the investor.

But on residential retail listings you know we have 5 days to list them if we agreed to list them on the MLS and to buyers agents that get them they may be more attractive because there may not be multiple offer situations with the deals.

A lot if agents are running into multiple offer situations and recommending that their clients move on to the next property with the pocket listing agents that are paying attention miss out on deals that are directly market and while the alert agent can move their buyer in the quickly scoop up a deal without much competition.

But you are right about the listing side for owner occupant houses. In most case the deal will hit the mls but you're right about how the client might feel.

Chris Hutchinson
REALTOR®
The Michael Group
972.809.0607
http://www.chrishutchinsonrealestate.com
The only way I think pocket listings are ideal for is when a client is still preparing the home for market, it is being built and all this would detour people because the pictures would not be the best representation and days on market would count against your client.
Yes..it's sheeple following the crowd and never asking "why"?