Question Details

Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558

5 bedroom vs 4 bdrm plus den or office. Does it matter?

Asked by Ruthless, 60558 Tue Aug 28, 2007

In terms of what the buyer is looking for as well as pricing/comps, does a closet in the 5th bedroom make a difference? If there is a master bedroom (#1) and 2 "kids" bedrooms (#2, #3) upstairs, and a main floor guest/master bedroom (#4) and another 1st fl bdrm (#5), how is that 5th bdrm best used/described? Is "Den" a 1970s term and "Office" more appropriate for today? If you have another "Bonus" room as well, how would you name bdrm #5 vs non-bdrm? Which term is best used to describe the main floor bdrm that has a walk-in closet but shares the adjacent full bath with the rest of the 1st floor: master, guest, 4th?

Answers

9
How I would position a property would be predicated upon the competition of the surrounding properties. Buyers choose the best bang for the buck within the offerings on their plate. What is the equivalent substitute in your marketplace? What will make you stand out ahead of the rest?

If buyers are asking for offices and 5 bedroom requests are common, I would label as an office. If there were many buyers in the area seeking a 5th bedroom, that’s how I would call it, if allowable. Some MLSs have rules governing the classification, such as a mandatory closet to be considered a bedroom. If I really didn’t know my buyer market, I would classify it as an office (assuming it was compliant.) Any person searching for 4 bedrooms and an office, would probably review 5 bedroom offerings in their mix.

The master bedroom is superior by comparison to the others in the same house. In a 3 bedroom, 1 bath ranch, there is still a “master” bedroom. The secondary bedrooms are subordinate in some way, size, amenities, closet size, private bath, etc. Some properties, particularly 2 bedroom condos can feature 2 master bedrooms. In the case outlined, my answer would depend upon a review and comparison of all bedrooms. The most superior trumps the card of “master” regardless of which floor it occupies.

IMO, “office” is preferable over “den” and “bonus” often indicates a larger room used as a game, play or theater room. Bonus rooms are often found as FROGS (finished room over garage), in basements, in finished attics, or additions.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
I believe that a home presenting 5 bedrooms can be perceived as "crowded" therefore 4BR & an office makes more sense. This is particularly evident in subdivisions where the homes are quite similar in floor plan.

Office is more appropriate in todays world with the advent of the computer in every home. Many are working within the home - even if they have a brick & mortar to go to on a daily basis. The "den" is really the new great room or family room. At least it was when I was growing up.

And Patrick:
Hang in there. There are more Nina's to come - once the word gets out - trulia will be really inundated with her type of postings... Remember to breath!
Den would be the term I use most.
I have seen Den/Office. or Computer room
I do not care for the term Bonus room. to close to bogus.

I have had a few house like that.
What I do is create two MLS listings.

One for a 5 bedroom.
The second for a 4bed plus a den.

I look at the MLS as a big search engine I do not want to miss all those people who are looking for a 5 bedroom
Yes it is legal.
Mr.P, Other/Just Looking in Arizona
Depending on the size of the room and the location in the house, "other" could be office or a media room. Media rooms are getting very popular and might peek interest. On the flip side some people would just as soon have a 5th bedroom.
Web Reference: http://carriecrowell.com
Nina
What kind of answer is that?
Correct me if I am wrong . Do you have another agenda.
Maybe getting people to go to a different forum?
Mr.P, Other/Just Looking in Arizona
I'm not aware of any rules in my area for what constitutes a bedroom or not. I have heard people say "this can't be a bedroom, there's no closet" but there's no either/or. My last house had a huge MBR, but no closet, we had wardrobes. It was a huge attic room. As for the bath in the Master, we have a lot of master bedrooms that don't have a bath in them. Lots of old ranches around here only have 1 bath. Usually the biggest room is the master.
Jeannette:
Thank you very much for your opinion.

I decided to be selfish and post the following here to hopefully get more people responding to my actual question above. So please excuse the tangent.

I addressed the Nina thing in this post: http://www.trulia.com/voices/Using_Trulia/What_constitutes_s…
Please read it and give your input there as you are NOT one of the Realtors that I am referring to.
I believe Patrick may have read it because he deleted an inappropriate question just after I posted it.
Ruth
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2007
Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558
The closet rule is the same in Illinois. I am questioning the advantages and disadvantages of removing or adding a closet to make it a bedroom or not.

Hmmm, does everyone agree on the definition of a Master Bedroom has having a private bathroom? Or is that a California thing? In our MLSs they have Master Bedroom listed instead of bedroom #1 for all homes. They also have a yes or no section for Master Bedroom Bath. Do some MLSs have that yes or no as to whether it has a Master Bedroom implying a bath and have the first bedroom listed as #1?

Sorry, Ute. I'm I being snippy? I must not have slept very well worrying about the house not selling.
Thank you for answering, I really appreciate it.

Ruth
Web Reference: http://www.oak-park-il.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2007
Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558
Here in California only rooms with a closet can be called bedrooms. To come up with the right bedroom count, you count all the rooms that have a closet. Everything is just a room and you can label those room according to what they are most suitable for. As far as the main floor bedroom that shares a bathroom I am not sure that I understand the setup. Any bedroom that does not have it's own bathroom should not be called a master bedroom. The fact that it has a walk-in closet does not make it a master bedroom. Many older homes don't have a master bedroom at all.
What's much more important in my experience is that the master bedroom is on the main floor. I also believe that a 4 bedroom house with a den or bonus room is generally more desirable than a 5 bedroom house.
Web Reference: http://www.go2kw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2007
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in Newcastle, CA