Home Selling in San Jose>Question Details

Mkv, Both Buyer and Seller in San Jose, CA

2 agents or 1 agent for sell and buy in different area

Asked by Mkv, San Jose, CA Sat Feb 11, 2012

I'll sell house in San Jose and buy house in Sam Ramon.
What is the better choice?
1 agents in either area for both buy and sell?
Or 2 agents for each buy and sell?

Answers

11
When I represent a seller who is also going to buy, I give them a discount on the listing side. This is advantageous in a dual agency situation. San Ramon is not that far from San Jose. I have gone further to help clients buy property. What matters most is that when you make a purchase, you want to make sure you do not over-pay for the home. It is important that your Buyers agent has access to MLS sold comparables in the area where you intend to purchase. The MLS that I subscribe, for instance, covers Contra Costa County as well as Santa Clara County. My electronic key for access inside properties to view also works in Contra Costa County. As long as the "dual" agent can provide you the service you deserve, I don't see a problem with having your agent based in San Jose where you list, but also utilize their services to make a purchase in San Ramon.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 14, 2012
In looking for an agent in San Jose try finding one with who works for a large brokerage so they can give you a referral to an office in San Ramon and an agent as well. The referred agent will know something about you and make your home search less stressful. Find two agents who specialize in the area you're selling in and buying.

Virginia Thomas
Keller Williams
Cupertino
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 11, 2012
I agree, u want the agent to know the area they are selling and the other agent to know area u are buying schools, stores, neighbor hoods.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 11, 2012
I agree with Ron. I am very comfortable with San Jose and I would be outside of my area of expertise in San Ramon. It's a good idea to have both agents work together in the logistics of your transaction. If they don't it can be problematic.

I had a SoCal agent refer a buyer to me in San Jose. They were selling in SoCal and Buying here. It was a very tricky transaction as timelines on one dependent on timelines of the other one mess up could of lost them their earnest money. We worked as a team to facilitate the client's goal.

All the best to you.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 11, 2012
You are talking about two different MLS areas:
Not counting the logistics of the distance,
it would be better to use two.

Good luck and may God bless
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 11, 2012
I would like to add that in our current market, Sellers in San Ramon are not going to wait for you to sell your home in San Jose. If you need to sell in order to buy, it will be best to list your home in San Jose as soon as you are ready, find a buyer and signed fully executed contract, and then wait for that buyer to remove any and all contingencies (including their loan contingency.) All of these tasks will need to occur BEFORE a San Ramon seller will take your purchase offer seriously.
Hello MKV~

I will agree with most of the answers here. But.. everyone is different and so are agents. It will be up to you on what your expectations are going to be. If you are here local as it sounds that you are, you may want an agent to take you to the areas, viewing homes along with open house situations, meet with you to go over homes, offers and contracts. It may sound good that you get a local agent for San Ramon, but is this agent going to run to San Jose to go over comps, contracts, viewings etc. This can be done via email and fax but you are going to want hands on and it may fall on your listing agent anyway. Some agents are familiar with many areas. It is a call that only you and your agent can make. If your listing agent can offer a referral and work with that buyer agent in your best interest that may be a win win situation. I have done both and it works, if you have an agent that is telling you it would be better with a different buyers agent than follow their lead if they are saying they can handle it than I would comply. You can always change your mind after looking for awhile, if it is not working out..

Denise A. Szyszlo Realtor
DRE 01441160
Office:: (408) 369-2000 x319
Mobile: (408) 768-7097
Fax: (888) 334-0888
Email: denise.szyszlo@century21.com
Website: http://www.DazzleHomes.com
CENTURY 21-Alpha
419 E. Hamilton Ave, Campbell, CA 95008
Just like everyone is saying here I believe that using two different agents would be better.
One for each area will be best. Better to have a local agent verses someone who will have to drive an hour to show a home. I could refer you to an agent in San Ramon and help you in San Jose.

Jim Mauldwin
Intero Real Estate
DRE # 01125380 since 1991
Web Reference: http://jimmauldwin.com
Hi Mkv and thanks for your email.

As much as I'd like to say, one agent can handle both transactions, the truth is that I'd be lying. In areas so far away from one another, it's always best to get a local specialist. There are things about San Jose and Santa Clara County, for example, that an agent in San Ramon would never know. And although I've been to San Ramon more times than I'd care to count, I still have not been there long enough to exercise enough knowledge to help a buyer.

So, get two agents--one here in San Jose and one in San Ramon. An honest agent would provide you with the same advice.

Good luck!!

Grace Morioka
Area Pro Realty
Thank you Mkv:

I agree with Teri Velios, Ron Thomas and Sandra Twist. I recommed that you have two agents, one who has a great deal of experience in San Jose and one who has a great deal of experience in San Ramon.

As it happens, with our company we have a branch in San Jose and a branch in the San Ramon area. Our San Jose branch would handle the sale and our San Ramon branch would handle the purchase.

For more information, you may reach me on my cell phone: (408)509-6218

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872