myirisgarden, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Yorba Linda fire, flood and quake and the effect on housing prices for the area

Asked by myirisgarden, Los Angeles, CA Fri Nov 28, 2008

With pretty much all sales being either short sales or bank owned properties it doesn't seem like there are any rules about pricing anymore... Now with the fire and floods...what do experienced real estate people think the effect will be on Yorba Linda home prices?

Answers

3
The outer areas and the homes in the hills are always going to be prone to fire.
YL is safe or I would not live here. We also do not have the price drops as other areas have. Look at the income statistics and you will see YL is in the top tier. Schools are great too.
What you have to be aware of is agents will not always tell the truth on how location in YL is paramount. Having been a broker for 34 years and in YL since 1981 I think I know a bit about this. No I am not asking for business. I am retired in YL and love it. I just cannot stand all these preening agents who fail in the ethics class daily. Stay close to the high schools and W/I 3 miles of Kellogg. Learn the school areas. East Lake offers the most bang for the buck since the private lake and pools, gym etc.. are a bargain. Go with a proven agent, not one with a slick flier who drops you off to a newbie once contact is made. Avoid teams. Do not go past the Honda dealership. Watch for people walking.. enjoying the area.... stay away from ghost town developments in outlying areas and homes built before 1980
1/3 of the homes in the US are in fire prone zones. Over 5M in California Alone! Homeowners that live on the Urban Interface need to be concerned with hardening their homes and purchasing self-sustained fire protection systems complete with gas powered fire pumps that draft water from pools or catch basis and appply Barricade fire blocking gel to the home & surrounding definsible space/structures/trees/etc. Without a fire protection system, any home on the urban interface is a sitting duck for a wildland fire....not only in Yorba Linda. The new homes that replace the burn homes will no doubt add value to Yorba Linda. I know of several GREEN homes that will be built to withstand fire and provide a lower carbon footprint to the community.
Hi Myirisgarden,
To date there has been no effect on home prices due to the fire. There has been an increase in demand for homes to lease in the area. This increase in demand may lead to higher rental rates. Hope that helps, Walter