Home Selling in Scottsdale>Question Details

Midgelee, Home Seller in Scottsdale, AZ

Would you list a property now during the slow summer months, or await Labour Day?

Asked by Midgelee, Scottsdale, AZ Wed May 27, 2009

Answers

9
Hi Midglee,

I think that most of the agents posting prior hit a lot of the key points so I won't regurgitate that same information.

I am really wondering if your question is more "of I list my home at a particular time would I be able to sell it easier now or later or ???

So here's the easy answer.

It doesn't matter as far as buyers are concerned.

Midglee, I work with a pile of buyers and in this market right now the only thing that will sell a home has nothing to do with when to list, it has to do with price.

Buyer mentality right now is like sharks in the ocean.

If you have a property priced above 250k your going to have to be patient. This is where most of our market is right now unless you have a 1 million dollar home priced at 500k, then you'll get offers.

Also, depending on what type of property you are selling that will make a difference too.

If you have a horse property in NE Phoenix in the Rio Verde foothills you might be listing that home for a couple years before you draw any interest and again price will be the determining factor.

So, that's pretty much the plan right now and honestly if you were planning on listing your property in a traditional fashion and aren't willing to price it low enough to procure a buyer, don't waste your and your listing agent's time. You'll simply be setting yourselves up for disappointing low offers.

If you can hang on to it for 4-5 years you'll have a better chance of seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

Stew Keene
Signature Realty Group
2008-20009 Master of Real Estate Award
GRI, ABR, E Pro, CNE, MRE, AHWD
You will be far too frustrated.
Web Reference: http://www.stewkeene.com
Great question! This is probably one of the biggest misconceptions regarding what time of year is better to sell a home. Especially here in AZ, most would think that the summer months would be a very undesirable time to sell your home and move in the 110+ degree temps. Contrary to that belief, our summer months (May - August) have historically had the highest monthly sales volume.

There are several factors that would determine what may be the optimal time of year to sell your home. A few of those could be:

1. The demographic of the prospective buyer for your home.
2. The dwelling type.
3. The location.
4. Number of current comparative active listings.
5. Number of comparative active REO listings.

Best of luck!
Web Reference: http://www.jameswehner.com
List your home anytime. However, you must price the home as if it were a foreclosure or REO. Sorry but those are the rules. Now go to work or wait for about 30 more years to get your original investment back.

Buy gold and silver.
The only time I would not List a home for sale is over the Holidays, However when you do list have a good plan to get the home SOLD! in less than 60 days.

Good Luck
Patrick
480-543-9899
Web Reference: http://www.AZRE.TV
Mr.P, Other/Just Looking in Arizona
Dear Midge,

With the diverse changes of the real estate market over the past few years, it is sometimes difficult to determine what to do regarding entering the market. Deciding whether to put your property on the market depends on what type of property you are marketing.

For instance, if you have a property that would specifically attract 'snowbirds', then you may consider waiting until the fall when they begin arriving.

However, even though the summer months are warm, it is a good time to list a home for sale before school begins in the fall. Often times families prefer to move during the summer months when school is out so that their kids can start at the beginning of the year term.

With the $8,000 tax credit for first time home buyer (which disappears in Dec 1, 09) and low interest rates buyers and investors are attracted to the market now. The local market appears to have hit bottom and is on the rise also causing buyers to jump off the fence and purchase.

The local market has been quite active. But, 94% of the sales are under $400,000. Although the available inventory in Scottsdale has been reduced over the past few months, it has not reduced as quickly as some of the other cities in the metro area due to the cost of the properties.

Thanks for your question.
The summer months are the busiest months for buyers!

The best time in my opinion to list your home is April 16th (right after taxes are due and right before kids are out of school).

If you are considering selling during the "buying season" NOW is the time.

If you would like a free, no obligation home evaluation to determine what your home would sell for in today's market, tips on what to do and what not to do in order to bring top dollar for your home and a list of fees involved so you would know how much you would have after selling feel free to visit: http://www.aztopdollar.com

I hope this helps.
Web Reference: http://www.DonaldKeys.com
Midgelee,

Thanks for you question! I have been working hard with all my buyers the last few months! What I have found is that homes are moving quickly if they are move in ready and priced well! Were all tired of the lender owned mult offer situations, they are exhausting and disappointing! Sales are up the last few months!

I would be happy to guide you through the process and provide an accurate market analysis before you decide!

Feel free to contact me anytime!

Lucinda Tkach
Windermere
lucindat@windermere.com
602-799-6846
Hi Midgelee

Depending on your home the summer months are actually not our slowest. It tends to be the fall. During the summer many families are making their move to facilitate the transition for their children to new schools.

In addition, at this time our inventory has been much lower than in previous years and sales have been at all time highs. If you can give your home the proper exposure over these summer months you will have a sale.

The positives are also in the $8000 tax credit, low low interest rates, multiple offers on many homes at certain price point and buyer demand.

If your home is more specific to vacation type property, hot months are slower, otherwise now is better than fall in my opinion.

Take a look at what is for sale in your neighborhood via my website http://www.DesertRidgeLifestyle.com

All my best to you
Laura Myers
Keller Williams Arizona Realty
480-600-6213
Hi Midge,

This is an excellent and well timed question.

Under normal circumstances, one might assume the summer RE activity would be slow and nthing would be lost by withdrawing the listing from the MLS and wait for the busy season to return.

With the incentives and deadline of December 1, 2009 we might anticipate an influx in home sales from buyers trying to take advantge of the $8,000 first time buyer's incentive. Because of this, we are recommending our listing owners to consider leaving their homes on the market through the normally slow time because of the anticipated increase of RE activity.

Than you for your question.

The Eckler Team