Cliff C, Other/Just Looking in Syosset, NY

Would you list a house with an agent that you don't like but gets results, or an agent that you do like, but they are not from the area?

Asked by Cliff C, Syosset, NY Tue Aug 7, 2012

We have a friend of the family who is an agent, but they are in a different town (specializes in a different area on LI)...(I know all agents know all areas, but some are better in the towns that their offices are located in).
the other agent is one that we don't like very much, as they sold us our house, but they are amazing at selling, and most of the area uses this agency.

Answers

14
Thomas Brady’s answer
I wouldn't list with someone I personally disliked, there are just too many great agents out there. Is your friend a full time agent? Are they competent? Intelligent? Honest? The local angle is very over blown in the internet age. As a matter of fact in some cases I think it's a liability as many local agents don't aggresively market, they do what they've done for the past two or three decades and doesn't work anymore. I would go with my friend, or a third agent as yet unfound agent.
Most sellers chose agent they feel conferrable with. Interview a
few agent and ask them all the right question. Part of the work is
trust and discloser when they work for you.
Fajardo Delacruz
347 932-0609
Hi Cliff,

I'd have to see both of their marketing plans to make this determination. I'd go for the best qualified agent which means one that has both the ability and the motivation to get your home maximum exposure. If you use the Internet as an effective tool you don't have to be an old fashioned neighborhood expert. That "local" agent probably gets the listings because of a sales record and knows that she doesn't have to provide customer service to get your business. I've seen this happen in many local neighborhoods here and I can tell you that the agent everyone chooses is not at all the best but they are familiar, they spend lots of money on local advertising and they expect, not earn your business. I just talked myself into going with the agent I like (if his/her marketing plan is great).
This is a really good question and I haven't read the response of others but I would lean towards the friend. You don't have to be a local agent these days to do a good job, you just have to be a skillful agent that know how to market and sell. That's nothing worse and uncomfortable than working with someone you don't like and respect no matter how good they are. Give your friend that chance and make sure expectations are set accordingly.
Results speak for themselves but it is important that whoever you hire to sell your home is someone you can work with successfully--as it is a team effort to get a home sold. You may not "like" the agent who has proven his or her self but can you work with that agent? Keep in mind that selling a house is business relationship not a friendship. If you decide not to so with your friend, I'm sure your friend will understand if you are honest with them about why you made the decision to go with the other one.
Good morning Cliff , I believe in honesty , I would definately speak to your friend ,and just lay your cards on the table ,what you expect from your selling agent .As far as the agent that you purchased your house from if you werent happy with them before you probably wont be happy with them now (selling your home) . Again some people just dont want to do buisness with family and friends because the dont want to ruin the relationship , thats your choice. (I have relatives like that , they pick your brain then give the listing to someone else) I have sold houses in 5 days and as long as 5months . Any questions give me a call Cell 917-734-6890 Thank you Carl Good Luck
Going through a selling process working with someone you can't tolerate could make for a very long and difficult experience. There are many very good agents out there that are associated with established and reputable companies that understand how to get the job done.

Also, it's isn't essential that the office be located in the community in which you are located but it is essential that it has high visibility and a good reputation.

Regardless of who you decide to go with, it's important that you understand the services both the agent and their company will be providing. To this end, it's critical to request in writing a copy of their comprehensive marketing plan that you can refer to through the process.

Good morning Cliff , first I would have a short interview with the agent and listen to what they can and will do for you . Remember you are hiring them to do a job for you just like a contractor . If your friend is not from the area not a big deal because with the internet you can get a lot of info . Also do you want to give your friend the chance ( it could ruin your friendship) . Any other questions give me a call anytime . Cell 917-734-6890 Carl
I sell over 100 homes a year and to be honest my clients end up liking me by the end of the deal after they see how professional I am. Ultimately they will like you if you get the job done. Having that said when I am meeting a client I am not trying to make a friend. When you hire an attorney to protect you are you looking for a friend or the best attorney possible?
I would find a successful agent in your area who you do like. Why compromise? If you think the agency is very strong, but don't care for the agent you can select another office with the same company or call the office you worked with and speak with the manager. Tell them you used an agent with their office when you bought the house, but didn't feel they were on the same page. Ask him/her if they could recommend another agent. I'm sure you can find a good agent who is also successful in the area.
Don Mituzas
Licensed Associate Broker
2008 Realtor of the Year
Prudentia Douglas Elliman
http://www.nyhomeseller.com
You should interview at least 3 agents from different companies. Choose an agent whose company can give you the most internet exposure and who has the most market share in your general area not just your town. Ask for those stats..They will probably have the most resource of buyers.Keep in mind that the majority of buyers start their search on the internet which is why you need a company that connects with all the major real estate sights on the web.
Your agent should be a full time agent, savy with electronic and internet technology since that is where it all begins today and who can also provide you with a strategic and agressive marketing plan. Have he/she put it in writing. As far as listing with a friend, if your friend meets all those requirements, then there should be no problem but keep in mind that sometimes things can go wrong and you should weigh the value of your current relationship which could ptentially be at risk. Like the other responders said, there are so many great agents, you should not be limiting your choices to just 2 especially if you don't like the agent.

Lynn Pisani GRI, PSC, CBR
Licensed Broker Associate, Prudential Douglas Elliman Real Estate
Mobile: 516-547-1356
If these are your only two choices - I would say go for the one with the results. You're looking to sell your home, not a new best pal. However - there are lots of Realtors out there. Surely you could find one you like and who is "amazing at selling".
Web Reference: http://www.homesbyminna.com
In this day and age of the internet, with most customers first looking online for a home, the idea of a "local" agent does not have as much bearing as it did in the past. The neighborhoods here on Long Island are not that far apart that an agent who is not "local" would be unable to effectively sell your home. I have personally sold homes as far away as Queens, Glen Cove, Mineola, Franklin Square and Elmont in addition to the homes "locally" in my Roslyn/Roslyn Heights office area. I would have no trouble selling a home in East Meadow either.
Having said that, is the friend of the family a full time agent? Knowledgeable and Skillful in all the internet capabilities that are required in marketing a home today? Honest? Experienced? These are important factors that come into play when an agent markets a home.
Having an agent, whether "local" or not, who is both personable to you and to your customers and other agents as well as a full time agent who is knowledgeable, skillful and experienced will probably get your home sold for the most money, as quickly as possible and to the most qualified buyer in todays market. Interview 2 or 3 and then choose the agent you are most comfortable with, in all areas.

Arlynn

Arlynn B. Palmer, ESQ, CBR, SRES, CMS, CNS
Licensed Associate Broker
Daniel Gale Sotheby's International Realty
1400 Old Northern Blvd.
Roslyn, NY 11576
Office: 516-484-1800 x 252
Email: Arlynn@ArlynnPalmer.com
Email: ArlynnPalmer@danielgale.com
Website: http://www.ArlynnPalmer.com
The choice is entirely yours....however also consider contacting and interviewing in person a few agents from different realty companies, then choose whoever you like best, and who has the most to offer....