Karen Berntti…, Real Estate Pro in Connecticut

Would you call this a 3 or 4 bedroom home? I did a staging consultation on a beautiful custom 2 bedroom home. It has a spacious 3rd floor loft

Asked by Karen Berntti & Ann Anderson, Connecticut Sat Jan 9, 2010

with no closet (required to legally call it a bedroom). It does have a door that opens into an unfinished attic space that could easily be converted into a spacious walk-in closet - BUT it also has an open wall w/ balcony overlooking the living room. This home has a huge lower level family room with closets and a full bath - BUT it also has a bar and small kitchenette. Great in-law potential but a bit of stretch to call this room a bedroom. Or is it? What do you think?

Answers

7
I would always opt to have a potential buyer pleasantly suprised rather than majorly disappointed when viewing a property. Also, if the home is serviced by a private septic system than you are restricted by the amount of bedrooms the septic was sized for. Good Luck Bill Heenan
When in doubt - call it a "potential" bedroom!
What you've described cannot be counted as additional bedrooms as yet. You never want to mislead anyone.

"Unique, custom 2 bedroom home with potential additional bedroom and in-law suite"
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 10, 2010
It is a bedroom indeed. There was just a typo on the website, and I don't know who to tell to fix it. There is also another real bath.
Realtors are bound by the Code of Ethics to represent a true picture of the property.
MLS association also have rules about mis-representation.

In most cases the local Dept. of Building and Safety will have the true records of what is permitted and legal. Only permitted building is allowed to be appraised and insured.

Your profile says you are a stager....whoever is selling the property would be the one to ask, suggest, etc.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Thanks so much Don and Linda for your thoughtful replies! There are no easy answers but your insights are helpful and greatly appreciated!
From a Realtor's standpoint, the loft doesn't count. Technically, the lower level might count (if you wanted it to--if it has a window meeting whatever the minimum dimensions are), though it really might be more valuable described as something else.

However, staging is an entirely different matter. If the agent wanted to visually suggest that there sleeping areas other than the two bedrooms, that's easy. That's where you come in. You'd stage the loft as a bedroom. And/or stage the lower level family room like you would an efficiency apartment--bed in one area, couch in another, showing separate areas. The listing description could describe one or both of those areas--"great for out-of-town guests," for instance--without those areas being listed on the MLS as bedrooms.

That doesn't get around the agent's problem that if someone is searching for a 3 bedroom home, this one won't show up. But if you can get them to read the description or look at photos of your staging, you can clearly get across the idea that while there are only 2 bedrooms, there are other areas that can (as the owner's option) serve a similar function.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
I run into that kind of situation a lot. I'd be curious what the town records indicate. I usually consider whether it has egress which it obviously has, more than I consider closets. Sometimes I'll list something as a 3 bedroom and then indicate in the MLS exactly what the situation is so we are disclosing properly. Then the agent or buyer can determine whether they want to see it or not.