Sono, Home Seller in 55076

Would a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom house fetch a higher price than a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house, and by how much?

Asked by Sono, 55076 Tue Sep 15, 2009

I am thinking about installing an additional bathroom to my home to improve its market value and/or marketability. Is it worth the extra effort, or is it better to sell outright?

Answers

6
Voices Member’s answer
Hey Sono,
Many of the Realtors below answered the question perfectly, get a CMA that would tell you what the difference would be. I wanted to add from a Mortgage point of view as well, first I would ask what type of home is it, I am assuming it is a condo or a townhome because of the number of bedrooms. By having that extra bath you will most likely be increasing the number of comparable homes that the appraiser will have to work with when appraising your home. In this market place one of the hard things is that so many of the comparables for homes are being bought at foreclosure prices, the larger the pool of homes in your immediate area (less than one mile away) that have sold within the last year the better job the appraiser can do on finding comparables to support the sales price.
All other things equal, generally yes. Depending on the overall price range of the house, the extra bath could add $5000 or it could add more for a more highly priced home. The finishes in the bath and whether it is a half, 3/4 or full bath make a difference as well.
Sono,

We sold a property last year which was a 3BR, 1BA townhome which we advised the Seller would sell better if she added a 2nd bath. There was ample space for the bath by subdividing a laundry/mechanical room on the lower level (next to the 3rd BR).

After marketing for a few months without interest from Buyers as a 3-1, the property sold quite quickly as a 3-2. The added bath cost $4700 (total) - this was a substantial sum for the Seller, but did make the home marketable and appealing to a wider group of Buyers. If the property had lingered on the market, the next price reduction would likely have been in excess of the $4700 spent on the bath.

Please get a CMA from a local Realtor for your pricing. The added bath will make your property more marketable - many Buyers won't even scan MLS data for anything less than 2 baths. This could leave your property out in the cold, regardless of its appeal.

-Dan
Most buyers want the 2nd bath. It depends on a lot of variables if it will fetch a higher price. You may just break even, or not. But the main thing to remember is 'marketability'. If all the comparables have 2nd baths and you don't, the buyers' may not even consider your property, or if they do, it'll have to be less expensive than your competition. But it may be the 'compensating factor' to draw them to yours.

If you want a professional opinion from someone who lives in your area, please feel free to contact me for a pre-sale consultation with no obligation.

Kim Eisen
Realtor since 1980
RE/MAX Specialists
(651) 457-HOME (4663)
Hi, In additon to Patrick comments, the way the second bathroom is finished counts. I am sure all my fellow realtors have seen bathrooms that should have never been built.
Take time to do it right and nice. Please, do not do a bathroom just to try to sell high. Do it like you and your family is going to enjoy it.

Benito.
Sono,

Typically a house with 2 bathrooms will sell for more money than a house with just one. That's the easy part. The hard part is knowing if the cost of adding a bathroom strictly for the purpose of resale will result in a sales price that will not only cover your expenses but result in a higher sales price. That's hard to quantify without seeing the property and your competition on the market. I think it's safe, however, to say that it would certainly add to the marketability of the house.

To get a more quantifiable answer, I would ask a local Realtor that specializes in your area to do a CMA for you looking at homes that have 2 bathrooms vs. just one bathroom.