Pam, Home Seller in San Jose, CA

Would I sell my house now?

Asked by Pam, San Jose, CA Fri Jun 1, 2012

Answers

21
It's a seller's market.

Before you hire me to sell your house, I would ask you a lot of questions about why you would want to sell, what is your goal, where are you going... etc.

Have an amazing day!

BTW I'm one of the authors in the book Erica mentioned.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
Hi Pam,
Do you mean, is it a seller's market? It is more of a seller's market than we have seen for a long time!

I'm just about to go to press with a new book called "Sell Your House Fast for the Right Price" written by great agents nationwide (and five great agents in this area) and I'll update Trulia when it is ready for reading!!!

We're seeing a very strong market here with multiple offers as long as the home is priced sexy. Photos are really important, and the front of the house dressing, because people want to see lots of pictures on the internet before they leave their homes.

Good luck! Ask any other questions, I'm a 95132 expert!

Erica
Pam,

If your plan is to sell now because you think that prices are headed down so that you can buy in when the new bottom comes, I think that is a risky strategy.

The prevailing wisdom now is that we have seen the bottom and prices are headed up. Of course, with continuing worldwide economic turmoil and uncertainty, that wisdom could be misguided. Do you want to roll the dice and see if prices head down in the future? If you do and you are wrong, where does that leave you? What will you do if prices head up?

Yes, there will be future buyer’s markets. Real estate prices are cyclical. But if the general price levels have moved up at the time the next buyer’s market comes, how will that be to your advantage?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 2, 2012
Good question, Pam.

Would you?

Why would you?

If you are asking if this is a good time to sell, your have received a lot of answers from agents who want your business and say, “Heck, yea! This is a great time to sell.” Maybe that is the right answer for you. You will have to decide.

I doubt that you woke up this morning and asked yourself, “Is this a good time to sell my house?” There has to be a reason to sell. Before selling, you need to think through your reason and you will need to sit with a Realtor or Realtors whom you will interview and decide if your reason makes sense. By that, I mean, what is your motivation? If you are just kinda, sorta thinking about selling, I suspect it will not happen. If you have as strong reason (motivation) then you and your Realtor should be able to get the job done.

I agree fully with those who have stated that this is a strong seller’s market. That means it is a good time to sell is you have a game plan for why you are selling and what you will do after your house sells.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 1, 2012
Hi Pam, and thanks for your question.

As the others have already mentioned, if you want to sell your home, there hasn't been a better time in the past four years than right now. It's a seller's market and homes in good condition are being snapped up by savvy and anxious buyers. We're also looking at multiple bids and selling prices--in many areas--exceeding the asking price. All extremely good signs for a seller who is contemplating entering the market.

However, before anyone can determine if this is the "right" option for you, we'd need to look at a few things: 1) condition of the home; 2) price you need to make money; 3) options, inspecctions, repairs and the speed with which you can bring the home to market; and 4) your personal plans for the market and your home. Provided everything looks good, this may be one of the best times this year to sell your home! Consult with an agent to help you determine if this is the right time for you to sell.

And if you're in the market to sell, why not save yourself a whole lot of money? Our firm lists homes, holds open houses, makes and distributes flyers, creates an online presence for your home, and finds buyers for you FAST, all for only 1.25% of the sales price--that can be as much as 1.25% SAVINGS to the seller. So if you're ready to sell or at least to talk with an agent, why not give us a call! Thanks!

Grace Morioka
Area Pro Realty-People's Choice
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 1, 2012
Today
if the house is priced right according to other property in the area and if is in reasonable condition.
In this market it will sell..
This year has seen a major turn around in buyers coming out and a shortage of homes available to buy.
Would you like a free evaluation?
Glad to help you decide it it makes sense for you at this time.
john hanson
408-281-8383
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 1, 2012
I would say it would depend on what you want to do after you sell:

Are you going to MOVE UP or buy somewhere else?

Sure, you're not going to get as much as you will in a year of two, but the next house will be cheaper too.

The whole idea of wealth accumulation is to buy progressively better houses, (or more houses) by leveraging the equity each time.

The only problem with this stepping stone method, is that you will probably have to sell this place, before you buy the next place. When means that you will have a transition period; if you're ready to accept that, go for it.

Good luck and may God bless
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 1, 2012
Hi Pam,
I don't know if you would or not , but it is a good time to sell. Where you are located and the size and condition of your home will determine it's value.
If you need assistance please feel free to contact me.
At your service,
Allyson
408-705-6578
Allyson@homesbyallyson.com
Certified Distressed Property Experty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 1, 2012
Hello Pam,

Homes are moving much faster these days. We are seeing the return of multiple offers.

Here are some tips to help you get your home sold:

1.Price your home right- if you price it too high you will scare buyers away. If you price it too low buyers may see it as a way of trying to create a bidding war.

2. Make sure your home is in good condition- no need to remodel and spend big bucks, but make your home shine. A super clean home with white walls and clean floors shows well..

3.Bring new life to your kitchen and bath. Fresh paint, clean floors,new light fixtures,new door knobs and handles on cabinets make a big difference.

4. Replace window coverings. White wood or faux wood blinds are a good choice.

5.. List your home with a local agent, someone who knows the area and the local market. Listen to your agent's advice on pricing your home. They have inside info on what has actually sold recently in your local market.

Best of Luck to You!
Kawain Payne, Realtor
Depends on the place. Some communities have not suffered much and are increasing in value.
Hello Pam,

No one has a crystall ball in terms of prices. As real estate pros, we check the market trends regularly, and one of the places to see them is Zillow.com. You can put in your address and see what is going on in the area. Well, this tool is not perfect, and won't replace an experienced local realtor.

So, I'd say - start by talking to a couple of agents. Check out local news on unemployment and local growth to see if you should sell now or later. Ask the experts what the average Days on the Market (DOM) is for your specific area, and what the sold to asking price ratio is (this shows if the market is becoming a seller's market in your area).

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
You may consider your financial situation and home price to make this decision .You may talk to a local expert about that.
Pam

The advice you're receiving may require interpretation. This weeks statistics support the fact that more than 16,000.000 homeowners are underwater on their mortgages. While only an estimated 10.1% of those homeowners will result in foreclosure that equates to 1,600,000 more foreclosures. Again as stated you must review this information in a microscope in line with your specific region, city and neighborhood.

This morning Reis Reports defines that commercial leases in all of the major US cities have shown stagnation due to the inability to improve the job market. The point is where are the statistics to support the bottom? The advice you are reviving in some of these responses barely touch the surface of the worldwide economic climate.

The key is right now at this minute your home can if properly negotiated obtain a premium due to microeconomic factors as they pertain to supply and demand. On the buy side you can still purchase a property now at an advantageous price if we identify, negotiate and close on properties that are owned by homeowners in need, heirs of those represented by a probate court and properties that require minor cosmetic repair. The fact is if you still determine that you want to sell and subsequently hold off on the next purchase then that is your choice. The key is you should be equipped with economic data that is more advanced than the traditional over the counter advice that you're receiving in some of these responses.

Once again please note that this forum is limited in scope and does not properly address your needs appropriately.

May I suggest that you contact me so that we may diagnose the proper approach for you and your estate.

With respect,

Jinaye Conley

408-497-6528
Hi John Juarez,

My goal after sale will be staying out of the market and waiting till buyer's market coming back then buy again.
Pam, do you know if you have equity in your home to cover the sale price and closing fees? It sounds like the current home you are considering selling may be a bit much for you to manage if you are willing to rent for a while. Or is it that you do have sufficient equity and want to pull that money out, hold it and not compete in multiple offers?

As for a buyers market we don't know when that will be, I don't see prices significantly dropping soon. Perhaps more homes on the market. So that is why I asked so many questions of you. So that you can make an informed decision.

Have an amazing day!
Flag Sat Jun 2, 2012
Hi Pam,

There is allot advantages of selling a home in 95132 zip code if not most of Silicon Valley. With a strong local job market (for the most part) and low interest rates are making a good have help push people to buy in the area. With the low inventory of homes on the market, most listing, if market well and priced well, are seeing multiple offers.

For your personally is this the right time that is a different question. Good sellers are usually ones that have a good plan to why they are selling. Is it move up or downsize and in order to take advantage of the low interest rates? Is it to just simply to cash out?

What ever your plans area? There are good sign for sellers right now.

Clarence Madrilejos
Century 21 M&M and Assocates
408-366-6262
clarence@c21mm.com
http://www.cmfinehomes.com
Yes, if the time is right for you. We actually may have passes the peak time for the year, in terms of property prices here in Bay Area. But the market remains strong with tons buyers hinting for available properties.
Thank you for your question, Pam:

As the others have pointed out, here in San Jose, California we now have a seller's market. Many, in fact, most homes that are priced at Fair Market Value have multiple offers and overbids. The inventory of homes available for sale has dropped dramatically.

However if you do not need to sell your house right now, I recommend that you keep your home, because prices here in San Jose will go higher. The available land for building new homes is built out, we have a strong local economy, local employers are hiring again, people are moving into San Jose from outside the area, rents in San Jose are rising rapidly. All of these factors work together to cause the Fair Market Value for your home to rise.

If you do really need to sell your house, then my answer is yes, now is a good time to sell your house because we currently have a stong market for your house.

However if you do not really need to sell your house, then I recommend that you keep your house because your house will be worth much more in the future than your house is worth today.

thank you,
Charles butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872
.
Pam,

Please visit: http://www.interores.com/jinayeconley

Pam,

Good day to you!

The timing of selling your home is a personal decision that requires attention to many estate planning needs. As a professional in the filed of real estate brokerage I would first want to understand your estate planning needs and identify what your short term and long term objectives would be following the sale.

I would be more than pleased to meet with you to discuss the process. There are many licensed Realtors but a professional real estate representative who views your sale as a part of your estate planning process is unique.

That being said with inventory and interest rates at an all time low it may be advantageous. Our first meeting would consider your objectives and how they relate to your estate plans. If your property is located in the 95132 zip code then we would want to review the comparable properties available for sale in your area. Thereafter we would want to review the past sales and determine our marketing strategy. Consideration must be given to time of year, future potential, unique characteristics of your property and how these compare to the existing inventory.

In summary your question requires professional attention and I am more than pleased to address your needs at no cost to you. The Conley Real Estate Group typically under promises and over delivers. Our belief is that your interests become our priority. We design a personalized marketing campaign to specifically target the Buyers for your home.

The Conley Real Estate Group at Intero Real Estate Services is one of the leading real estate sales groups in the Santa Clara Valley.

To address this issue please review the enclosed Marketing Campaign Introduction so you can see how The Conley Real Estate Group has achieved the highest sales prices for our clients for more than 30 years.

Contact my office at your convenience so that we may schedule a time to review your needs. Please review my experience, testimonials, current listings and past sales online at: http://www.interores.com/jinayeconley

Jinaye Conley
The Conley Real Estate Group
Intero Real Estate Services
Corporate Headquarters
10275 N. De Anza Blvd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
Direct: 408-497-6528
Direct: 408-315-1100
Office: 408-342-3120
Efax: 408-668-0883
Email: jconley@interorealestate.com
Websites: http://www.interores.com/jinayeconley
http://agent.interorealestate.com/splash.aspx?ID=502
http://www.loopnet.com/profile/4693737821/Jinaye-Conley/
Is it a good time to sell now? It really depends on what you want to do next. If you need to sell, then you should. If you want to upgrade, you should. If you have no need to sell, and you are not buying anything else, may not make sense for you to sell. If you email me at rigo@rigob.com, I will ask you some specific questions then, I'll tell you if selling makes sense or not.
Hi Pam,

I have a listing at 1793 Mayall Court, SJ CA 95132 that is now sale pending. This is in the same neighborhood as your home. My listing sold in 10 days for $35,000 over asking price. Absorption rate for this neighborhood is 2.5 months indicating a seller's market. In a seller's market prices normally go over asking price, if priced correctly. There are several factors that determine asking or listing price. Give me a call (408-316-0793) or email (rpablaza@comcast.net) me so I can do a free home valuation for you. I value homes thourgh the BPO process, a semi-appraisal method. This will give you an accurate price range with which to value your home. With this information you will be able to decide for yourself whether it is a good time to sell your home.

The current real estate market in Santa Clara County is bouyed up by lack of homes for sale with a lot of frustrated buyers, who at this point, are willing to pay a higher price just to own the home they want. This is what drives the Santa Clara County real estate market today. Once more homes come up for sale, over asking offers may diminish. If the BPO for your home (which I will do free for you) meets your price point, it may be prudent of you to take advantage of today's seller's market.

CAll me.

You are asking this question from California, and you are not giving any details, i.e. are you asking if at this time it will sell....... There is no good answer...... anything will sell at the right price.....

In order to get a better answer is to know more about your home, age, size, amenities, lot size,
location, construction, floor plan, subdivision if applicable etc. etc. and when did you buy and for how much and
how much do you still owe on your loan...

With some of that information a better response can be given in general terms. If you really want to know how your home compares with similar homes in your are of San Jose, you will really need to
connect with an experienced area Realtor, who will carefully look at your home, with the expertise of a Realtor who has seen a lot of homes and knows the market in your area well, then he or she will
based on your needs, i.e. your outstanding loan and what your next steps are going to be, discuss
with you your options, including the initial asking price to be competitive and get showings, the
potential need to reduce the price depending on market changes, the negotiations to the final
sale price and then considering commissions, closing costs, outstanding taxes etc. what your
net to seller would or could be....

Then you will be able as a well educated Seller, in cooperation with your Realtor make the plan and take the next steps.

Good Luck to you, if you need a recommendation for a local Realtor, get back to us here and we
gladly make some good recommendations.

EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
YourRealtor4Life! Your Chicago, Northern Illinois, N and NW subs and the fine homes of the
Northshore Expert with @Properties Northshore, 30 Green Bay Road, Winnetka, Il. 60093
Edith always works in the very BEST interest of her clients, buyers, sellers and investors alike
and she truly goes the X-tra Mile with a SMILE for all her clients

Have a wonderful Day and all the BEST....