Home Selling in Plano>Question Details

Jos, Home Seller in Plano, TX

Wondering if the resale of my home will be negatively affected if I have my swimming pool removed.

Asked by Jos, Plano, TX Wed Feb 15, 2012

The upkeep is proving to be too much. Thanks for the help!

Answers

13
Just visit my web site at http://www.aatrealty.com/ you will be surprised. We have great offers for home buyers and home sellers.

♥♥ Regards ♥♥
Most of us here in the area realize that during the warmer parts of the year that a pool is normally an asset.

You can guess that whatever the price range is of your home that the pool adds 10% roughly to that. So, a low-end home with a pool might not add much but because our swimming season is so long in comparison to New York, it probably is a negative effect on value to have it removed.

However, normal maintenance costs should not deter you from keeping it, but if major repairs are needed, such as cracks in the gunite or re-doing the pool completely, then the cost to repair and the cost to remove might be comparable.

Having maintained pools and repaired them, I can tell you they're more valuable when operating and in decent condition than an empty space. Some landlords hate them because they worry about the liability and some families shy away from them because of the risk of accidents, but most people love them.
It depends on condition, and neighborhood. I will be happy to answer with more details. Please feel free to contact me,
Jos,

Depends on the condition of the pool, what needs to be done, and at what cost and at what price range your home is in. It's not cheap to fill it in, so you should perhaps weigh that against repairs.

We can help you look at the costs /benefits if you are considering selling your home.

I also can give you a referral to a company who can help you fill it in, if needed.

Bruce Lynn
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
It all depends. A pool in poor condition shows badly and will be a big turn-off to buyers as they see it as a money pit. It is expensive to remove, but it's also expensive to repair if it needs to be replastered or needs a new pump, heater, or decking repair. Talk with a pool company to have it evaluated.

Have your realtor come out and give you an idea of what they think, as it depends on many factors. Also think about getting a home inspection before listing you home for sale to show you what needs to be addressed and repaired before showing it to buyers.

John
Systematic Home Inspections
214-600-4344
Is the pool damaged or leaking in some way? I've spent a lot of time in the Dallas area and my family out there values a pool highly. The same goes in Florida. If there isn't a lot of expensive damage, you might check with a pool company to find out why it is so much trouble. It really shouldn't be - even if you take care of it yourself.
Hi Jos,

Well it depends. If the pool is in very poor condition, then yes it might be better to remove it or fill it in.

In most cases in the Dallas/Plano area or Texas in general, I would have to disagree with Nina from New York and the reply from Austin. A pool is generally looked at favorably in this area with our high number of 100+ degree Summer days, and in fact we have found that resale is more affected during hotter Summer months than other times of the year. In the market area and price range, that we serve, we typically see about a $15,000 - $20,000 higher value for similar homes with a pool than those without a pool.

Even if people have kids it is pretty easy to put up a fence that is removable when kids get older, and for additional safety even sensor alarms can be added that go off if something falls into the pool. It will cost a lot of money to getting rid of your pool as well. In some cases it can almost half of what it costs to build a new one.

An additional issue to consider is that because of water shortages caused by both draught and the invasion of the zebra mussels to some of our area lakes, some area cities (including Plano) may find it hard to justify to issuing permits for new pools for existing homes.

A good pool service might be a better solution for you. Timm Kralovetz 972/740-3659
Jos,

It all depends. Any home with a good pool will add market value to the home. In a subdivision with majority of the homes having pool and there's no community pool you'll probably want to keep it. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks!

Susie Kay, GRI, CHMS, SFR
Realtor®
Residential/Commercial/Investment
English-Indonesian-Hokkien
------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net
http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
I've had to remove a pool before (it was cracked all the way through) and it can be costly depending on the removal method and basic pool construction. the two methods I'm aware of are cutting the pool wall at least 4 feet down and filling in vs removing all concrete. In an average home a typical pool can bring an extra $15-20,000 to the sales price. Add the removal cost (mine was $8000) to the value you would lose by it being gone and that's a pretty good chunk of change. Paying someone to take care of it for you might be the best option.

Andrea Brooks
469-450-1326
The answer to that question depends on a variety of things. Is the pool in fairly good condition, or very poor condition ? What are your plans after removal ? Is a community pool available, and if so, how close / convenient is it ? I generally go with the "If it's not broken, don't fix it" school of thought, but it’s hard to answer more definitively without seeing the property. If the pool is in poor shape, and the post removal plan includes some well done, quality landscaping, you could be doing yourself a resale favor. Give me a call, 972-877-6075, or send an email (bob.cardillo@century21.com), I’d be happy to take a look at your property and discuss your options further !
Remove a pool, fill it the hole , tie off all the water lines can be extremely expensive. I owned several homes with pools maintained the pools myself did not find to be expensive. If you maintain the chemical balance, with pool cleaner should not be a problem

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Hello Jos,

The removal of your swimming pool should not negatively affect the sale of a home when it is time to sell.
In fact, most families with young children prefer not to purchase a home with a swimming pool due to fear of a child accidentally drowning because they looked away for a few minutes.

Web Reference: http://ninaharrishomes.com
The only negative I could see is if you could tell that a pool was once there. Some people want pools but most do not so it should not effect the value of your home and you may attract more buyers not having the pool. Just make sure the job is done correctly and you should not have a problem.

Don Groff
REALTOR® | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o.512.669.5599 m.512.633.4157
listings@dongroff.com