Home Selling in Roseville>Question Details

Brenda Brooks, Home Seller in Roseville, CA

With the current market is it worth putting new carpet into our home before selling it?

Asked by Brenda Brooks, Roseville, CA Wed Oct 8, 2008

We have a 4 bed/3.5 bath home with office, many upgrades but it was built in 2001. Has hardwood floors downstairs, but also carpet. Should we invest in carpet or just list it as it is? Carpet just looks worn to me.

Answers

10
This is a great example of how something can change over a four year period. Back in 2008-2009 the verdict was heavy on the side of changing out the carpet. Back then, most listings were distressed, so a cheap investment in carpet and paint was worth the extra to make a house compete. Today, most listings have newer carpet, so the occasional "needs updating" house stands out. - IF it is priced a few thousand below its close competition.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 11, 2014
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
If you are now ready to sell, despite our low inventory of homes, I am a believer in presenting a home in its best possible condition to encourage multiple offers. If its the original 13 yr old carpet, I'd say replace it with something of a neutral color. I believe in marketing a home aggressively and would be happy to discuss that with you.
This is an old post but I am sure this question is asked often so I will reply. My opinion is that you should not replace carpet or paint as the buyer may not like the carpet or paint you choose and might change it as soon as they buy the home. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to give a credit towards what ever you feel needs to be replaced/updated. It will ultimately come down to pricing your property right. You will either have more or better features than the competing properties for the same price OR your price will be lower (or give credits such as a $2000 paint or carpet credit) to compete with the updated properties. Even the worst looking properties will sell for the right price. Other factors are also considered such as your objective. Are you trying to net more or just sell it ASAP. In 2008 (date of post) I would not have updated anything as prices were dropping.
Carpet sellers and installers are very competitive these days. Your question is nearly a year old, the advice to change out worn carpet is even more true today.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 4, 2009
Hello Brenda. In todays market you want your home to stand out! This will help give you an edge!
Happy Selling!
Robert
Hi Brenda,

Usually carpet is a relatively inexpensive improvement that can make a big different in a buyer's perception of your home. Do not expect to add the price of what you spend on new carpet to the asking price of your home - it is the type of improvement that may lead a buyer to choose your home over another. As some of the others have stated, there are definitely some inexpensive things that you may want to do (along with replacing your carpet) to prepare the home for sale.

It also may not hurt to have a professional home stager out for a consultation. The stager I use comes out to all of my listings and walks through the home with my clients, and makes a list of recommendations to prepare the home to be viewed by buyers. Usually she recommends things like cleaning, putting some personal items away, rearranging furniture, painting, cleaning or replacing carpet, planting flowers, installing fresh bark, etc. You can then do her recommendations yourself. You can also retain her services to assist in a partial of full staging.

Depending on what agent you select to list your home, many agents offer you a staging consultation with a pro as a part of their listing package.

If you want to call a great stager, I recommend Melinda with First Impresssions at 916-541-8181. That is who I use...
Web Reference: http://www.erinattardi.com
Erin Stumpf…, Real Estate Pro in Sacramento, CA
If the carpet looks worn to you it probabily will to a buyer also. Fresh paint and new carpets will make your home stand out over the others, go with a neutral color instead of bright or red, green, mauve. Good luck with your sale.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Buyers love hardwood floors. Unless there are areas that do not have hardwood under the carpet.
Web Reference: http://www.mariatmorton.com
Brenda,

Forget about the "current market" and plan to sell your home. A home always presents well with fresh paint, new carpeting, eye catching landscaping etc

If you thisnk it is something that needs consideration, it will not escape the close scrutiny of a warchful buyer. So to not deal with the needed changes would be to work against yourself .......when trying to sell your property.

If you are serious about selling the home, do what needs to be done to sell it by making it irresistable to the buyer.

If the carpet looks like it's in decent condition but has normal wear, you may be fine. But 2001 may be a little too old and in that case I would replace it. I wouldn't expect a dollar for dollar return. I wouldn't expect to get a premium because of it, however it will help you actually sell.

Make sure to get advice from a staging company or interior designer about what will be most appealing to buyers in today's market. Don't just go with what fits your taste. Your taste may be wonderful but you want neutral with widespread appeal.
Flag Mon Feb 10, 2014