monicacoupons, Home Seller in Cleveland, OH

Will upgrading our kitchen be a good decision?

Asked by monicacoupons, Cleveland, OH Fri Oct 12, 2012

We own a home in University Heights, near Meadowbrook. The best feature in our house is our extremely large kitchen - but the counter is laminate and floors our old, chipping and outdated. We have the money to upgrade both of those features ... and while I know we won't likely make back all that money, is it worth doing? We will be selling our house in about 18 months because of my husband's job relocation, so I want to make sure our house is competitive in a crowded market! Thanks!

Answers

2
A few strategic improvements in a kitchen can make a world of difference. If done right, you CAN make good on the investment through resale or rental. I recommend doing a little analysis on your own: how much are you looking to sell your house for? how much are similar houses selling for? how much cash do you have to spend on improvements? how long can you afford to keep your house on the market?

Realtors have a place, to be sure, but I'm sure you can answer all of those questions yourself. At the very least, going through the process will put you in an informed position, and when searching for a realtor you will have a better sense of who is going to be the most helpful for you. Remember, it is ultimately your financial health you are dealing with, and no one cares about it as much as you do.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 17, 2012
Absolutely worth it. Never mind recouping any of the money, if it helps sell the house, which what you describe now will NOT do! Kitchens and baths are crucial to buyers. But, if the cabinetry is worn or whatever, you might want to re-finish them, change the hardware to something more modern, etc. Maybe even the sink and faucets. You should probably have a Realtor come to look at it now to give you advice on what you need to do to prepare. Prepare NOW for 18 months away, and you will be able to do a good job, not rushed, and with hopefully good return on the investment. The rest of the house might need some updating as well? A Realtor can tell you how to "stage", what to take out, what to put in, what to paint, how to de-clutter, etc. Crucial and even more so in this market. If you want top dollar, you must have the home in top shape. There is competition out there. I also recommend that you begin going to area/neighborhood open houses in the range of what you feel you might list your home for....see what your competition is, and/or what homes on the market look like at specific price levels. It also can give you some good decorating "tips", looking around at other homes.

Tari

Tari Torch Sweeney
RE/MAX Traditions
216-319-4493
taritorchsweeney@gmail.com