Home Selling in Chaska>Question Details

James, Other/Just Looking in Chaska, MN

Will the new 312 HWY and exits opening up in Chaska increase home values?

Asked by James, Chaska, MN Wed Dec 19, 2007

Answers

6
Hi James....

With infrastructure becoming as big an issue as it has become and the traffic increases we've seen, I would think that it may help slightly. The major effect will be a push westward with new homes and developments down that corridor.

I hope that helps!
Web Reference: http://www.toddnorsted.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 19, 2007
I think it is definitely a plus UNLESS your home is in such proximity that you have a lot of highway noise or a view of the highway!!! Generally, anything that eases congestion and makes a commute easier is good for house values.
Mary, thank you so much for your reply! I am not near the highway for noise to affect me, thank goodness. But housing is being built like crazy around us, homes & Townhomes which are Section 8 housing so I'm concerned about that....Could that affect the value of our house? The stand alone homes are $350K but the townhomes are my concern. It's the Creeks Run Townhomes on Yellow Brick Rd. any ideas? It's getting congested fast in a once quite and tree filled neighborhood and it breaks my heart.
Thank you so much!
Flag Wed Apr 9, 2014
It would be hard to say if the expansion will directly result in an increase in home values. As of today, most markets have been hit by declining home values. A top three consideration people have when looking for a home is daily commute. The benefit of the expanded highway is that the proximity to downtown and other "inner" suburbs has drastically decreased.

Although the expansion may not "increase" values per say, it may increase desirability and demand therefore shortening the number of days a home in the area sits on the market (meaning better sales price for the sellers). However if the market turns around into a sellers market again, new construction may become more enticing than purchasing an existing single family home.
Chaska has again survived another recessionary period and home values continue to hold value better than surrounding communities and similar communities across the country. Access to the metro area is now only 10 minutes to Hwy 94, 20 minutes to MSP airport and 25 to downtown Minneapolis.
With easier commutes, homes off the new 212 corridor should benefit from greater demand. That being said, existing homes in this area will continue to experience competition from new construction for some time to come. Don't expect big appreciation quickly, but over time, this location should be a winner.

Best wishes.
James,
I just saw a report from the builders association showing Carver County to be the fastest growing metro county in the next ten years. Being able to get into town quicker will be a positive for property values in the area once 312 is complete. However with increased gas prices the outlaying areas are under price pressure right now.
Michael Doyle