Home Selling in Charlotte>Question Details

Shelly, Home Seller in Charlotte, NC

Will removing the popcorn texture from my townhome ceilings increase the property value.?

Asked by Shelly, Charlotte, NC Tue Jan 27, 2009

Answers

6
David Dovell’s answer
Shelly,
Probably not, with that said if the ceilings are in pretty good shape leave them alone unless a potential buyer asked for smooth ceilings. Clean white ceilings will not draw too much attention regardless of texture.

David Dovell The Ask John and Dave Show The Home Improvement Show http://www.askjohnanddave.com
Shelly,

If you remove the popcorn texture, you will be removing an obstacle to the sale, but only if it is done properly and done completely. It will likely help you sell the property more quickly but probably not add to the value. Buyers are very discriminating right now and have a very low tolerence for anything they don't like in a home and the popcorn texture is no longer desireable.

If you have had negative feedback about it, I would take it very seriously. No seller can afford to have a buyer walk away today for something like the ceiling texture. Get a quote for the work before you decide.
If the ceiling shows well.. and your home is freshly painted.. I think this means more than doing something about taking the texture off. I have in my experience not run across buyers too worried about the texture look. They pay attention to other things ie: kitchen, baths, size of bedrooms, floor plan.. lot size. .. If you need someone to walk thru your home to help advise you. I would offer that to you. just email me at rosecramer@ncrealtorsales.com or call me at 704-607-7514.. Good Luck
It does not add value too your home ....many home buyers may not pay attention if ceilings been updated however overall appearance if updated is critical. Once you start scraping ceiling are you willing do remaining updates painting, walls, and etc.
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Shelly,

That is a great question! It is difficult to answer and impossible to measure. I, personally, think it would, but probably only negligibly so. BUT, even if it doesn't increase the value, I think it might help your home sell a little quicker.

Like Bill said, you will have a long list of considerations to keep in mind and this should fall pretty low on your list. But, you never know.

Matt
Shelly,

It's doubtful....this is a personal taste or interior decorating preference that would not have a significant impact on the value of your home.

You may want to consider looking at your home as a total package. What is it appeal? Will buyers be receptive of its appearance? Is it fresh and clean? Are the bath rooms, kitchen, and appliances up to date? Do people driving past find it appealing?