Aunt Lettuce, Home Seller in 60554

Will a ranch home built for retirees sell faster and bring a higher price than others in Sugar Grove, Il.?

Asked by Aunt Lettuce, 60554 Tue Apr 12, 2011

Answers

5
Typically a ranch home will bring a higher price per sq foot than a two story but there are also many other factors involved such as location of home, condition of property and current inventory on the market.
I've worked in the Sugar Grove area for 16 years. In my experience, ranch homes sell faster and for a higher price per square foot than 2 stories. They cost more to build (bigger footprint and a larger roof). Right now, I have many interested buyers who are looking for ranch townhomes. There's currently a big shortage. And Aunt Lettuce, since you wrote this post 1 1/2 years ago, I'm guessing you've already moved on, but I hope my answer can help other homeowners in Sugar Grove.
If you're building a home strictly for investment, I'd definitely consider a 2 story home first. If you're building a home to LIVE in, then build yourself a ranch and enjoy it. I'm a huge fan and have seen some fantastic ranch designs, but they do take a bit longer to sell compared to similar square footages.

Best of luck~
Hello Aunt Lettuce!

Great question. Generally, ranch homes offer a great floor plan. I love "ranchers."

The ranch home has a larger footprint, so you sometimes get a smaller yard than some of your neighbors.

But, retirees who want to avoid stairs tend to favor them. Who wants to climb stairs at the end of the day, anyway? With more and more people retiring these days, it puts a ranch home in the sweet spot of the market.

Additional thoughts:
- If your home doesn't require a lot snow shoveling or yard work, that's a bonus in the minds of many seniors who want to spend their time taking walks, cycling or golfing.
- In colder states, of course, owners of multi-story homes will tell you that they block off the heat registers on the top floors so all the heat does not get directed there. I can see that could lower heating costs. During the summer, though ... you might be cranking up the AC for those top floors.

If you're getting ready to place your home on the market, have a real estate agent show you some comps. Selling faster in this market is a big, big plus.

SuZ
PML of Longmont
It all depends on WHO is out buying at the time you list?! Some people only want ranch homes-- Others don't care, and yet some prefer 2 stories. Remember, value is in the eyes of the buyer. IF your home is in the best condition and priced to sell (based on your market), you will get the best price for your house. Listen to your Realtor® and price your home "to sell."

IF you'd like a FREE, EZ, automated price opinion on your home, click here:
http://movinwithmorales.yourkwagent.com/atj/user/CMAFormGetA…
OR call me and I'd be happy to prepare a Comparative Market Analysis for your home!

Diane Morales
Thank you for MOVIN' WITH MORALES!!
Keller Williams Fox Valley Realty
(630) 709.9882

MovinWithMorales@gmail.com
http://www.MovinWithMorales.com
Follow MOVIN WITH MORALES on Facebook!

I take great pride in providing honest, reliable, and professional services to my clients!
I am sensitive to your needs and will help fit the best scenario for your situation.
Never pushy, just dependable.